Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebaru

any bulbs coming up z5?

rebaru
17 years ago

this crazy weather! i saw what i think are botanical tulips coming up... nothing else.... is it possible? anyone else having unseasonal things going on?

Comments (17)

• karen_w
    17 years ago

As a matter of fact, I just walked the yard and my crocus, snowdrops and daffs are starting to peek their leaves up.
    They're confused! K.

• blacky1
    17 years ago

I saw all my little blue minature Iris coming up weeks ago. They are confused. I haven't look again but maybe I will now that you reminded me.

Lynne

• karen_w
    17 years ago

And now I've got snowdrops blooming. That doesn't usually happen till the end of Feb. K.

• rebaru
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well, still no snow cover at all, and the cream beauty crocus are coming up! obviously it's not the longer spring days that get them up and going!

• thoeting
    17 years ago

Yes I have several tulips coming up, but not the narcissus.

Is there anything I can or should do?

• karen_w
    17 years ago

Thoeting-Just know that if snow gets dumped on these optimistic green shoots, they'll be ugly and brown in spring when they're supposed to bloom.
    My daffs peeked up early last year, then we got snow. They came all the way up and bloomed as usual later in the season, but the top 2 inches of foliage was butt-ugly and needed to be snipped. Not my favorite garden job. K.

• ally2007
    17 years ago

I've got tulips and hyacinth bulbs coming up already. Help! I'm new to flower gardening. What should I do to protect them? It hasn't snowed yet this winter and I am worried about what impending freezing temps will do to them.
    -A

• isabelbrinck
    17 years ago

These posts were written before winter finally settled into our lovely zone 5.
    I put out half a dozen or so bulbs in my balcony planters and saw one poke its leaves before the snow fell. But the others seemed to remain safely underground. I thought maybe I buried that one too shallow.
    I guess we should all regroup this spring to compare results on these early birds!

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    17 years ago

Well its march 1st. today decided to walk the yard.. some of my daff's that came up in dec.-jan. have browned to the ground. snowdrops have buds but look frozen solid. temps to rise tonite above freezing and thru till next week, so i guess we'll see what will become of my early spring bulbs....

• rebaru
    Original Author
    17 years ago

there was non-stop snowcover once it started in mid-january. now the edges of the garden are showing, and the crocus leaves are no worse for the experience. also the daffodils - only their tips had come up, are looking fine - not damaged apparently by the snow contact. i love spring! anticipation!

17 years ago

Well its almost a month later mar.26th, snow drops never did bloom,too much winter kill i guess.All my early crocus are blooming,the daff's browned badly but they all have buds and i imagine will bloom in the next week or so. The weather has been so mild here i'm weeks ahead in growth and yard work.Suppose to be 70 f. today, saw lighting this am on my way to get my tim hortons.My rose bush mary rose is even beginning to leaf out..Last frost date here is may 24th.Sure hope we don't get a heavy freeze!!(probibly will)Sounds like an interesting growing season.....

• Hosta_Haven
    17 years ago

I have LOTS of tulips up but only about 1-2" high. Many perennials are coming up. My carex grass looks like it never went dormant.

Char

• marricgardens
    17 years ago

I had to dig up my tulips last fall and planted them in another area. I thought I got them all but from the looks of whats coming up, I sure missed a lot of small ones! As for the rest of my garden, the irises are starting to come up, I don't think the spiderwort even died over winter, the onions and garlic are both still growing. I even had some peonies given to me by my neighbour who wanted to get rid of them. Unfortunately she let them sit in the sun for several days before she gave them to me. I soaked the roots, planted them and 3 out of the 4 are coming up! My allium roseum is also coming up too. This warm spell, 20 degrees today, is enough to make me want to dig around in the beds. Marg

• karen_w
    17 years ago

Thorn grower, I have never heard of snowdrops dying of winter kill. Mine were in full bloom in January, then got covered with about 2 feet of snow until the March thaw. They looked liked they had never been snowed on.
    I've grown them at several different houses and love them because they'll push right through shallow snow and bloom. They're as tough as an old boot.
    Can't imagine what happened to yours. K.

17 years ago

I'd like to know as well k. They browned and did nothing and on either side of them are two clumps of daffodils that came up at the same time, they browned as well and have no blooms.. all the other daffodils in my yard are fine, and are starting to bloom..there was no snow cover at all here and it was extremly cold for three weeks..my rose bush's can verify that, alot of winter kill..yikes

• lonewolfmichigan
    17 years ago

Lots of Tulips here in my yard in West Michigan already .The Peonies are sprouting,about 3";

Lone

• karen_w
    17 years ago

Thorngrower, I wonder if it's a drainage problem. Bulbs do rot in soil that doesn't drain. K.