Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stinkhorns

Posted by denisencj2001 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 07 at 20:07

It took us a while to figure out what the awful stink was outside our front door. We first thought that something had died near the house but we couldn't find it. I had never seen the orange colored stinkhorns before so I didn't realize that the odor was indeed in our mulch. I finally saw quite a few of them start sprouting up and realized that that was the culprit. Now I'm wondering what to do about the smell. It is quite embarrassing to have visitors over. I sprayed round-up on them but then I found your website and read about the salt. I think I'll try that tomorrow. I've also thought about digging them up. What do you suggest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stinkhorns

If they liked your mulch this year, they'll like it next year. Being a fungus, Roundup would have no effect on them. You'll probably want to bag them up and get rid of them. As for smell, any high carbon material (leaves) will mask the smell if piled on them.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here