Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bare root white pine question

Posted by wvuengr12 none (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 21:30

I just got in 10 bare root white pines from the arbor day foundation. Due to time constraints and on going landscaping I really don't have time to plant them outside where they will eventually go. Is it safe to put them in 1 gallon pots with good soil until spring time?. I have already done this and they are currently sitting in my garage as of yesterday.

My plan was to do this but I am unsure as if this will harm them and if it won't harm them, should I leave them in my garage where they get virtually no sun light or should I put them outside in the pots until spring or even next fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bare root white pine question

The best thing is to put the pots in the ground. You can't keep them outside in pots, they will get wet, and the roots will be frozen and they will die. The garage is better. If possible put them on their sides to stop any growth, water about once a month. You don't want the soil to completely dry out. But you don't want it very wet either.
I never dealt with pine trees, but this is what i would do with fruit trees. Cover the roots with hay or blankets if possible too. They need to be insulated, but even if not and even if upright, should be ok.
Plant them ASAP in the spring. Don't worry about frosts, as long as the ground is workable, you can plant them. Last spring our last frost was April 25th, but I planted trees March 15th, the ground was no longer frozen. The trees did great!

o

I'm wondering what planting zone you are in and why they would send you trees in Dec.? Doesn't seem like a good plan.

o

A lot of the west coast Nurseries offer their bare roots in December. Latest for CA is the first week in March., I have ordered bare root from Bay Laurel, and March, the first week is the very latest they can send bare root. Grow Organic can send at the latest January.
I like to experiment with some west coast trees and bushes. Best to buy close by, but many new fruit tree hybrids are developed on the west coast, and I want to see how well they do here. I have some Southern Highbush blueberry bushes coming in March from Bay Laurel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here