Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to over winter containers

Posted by northerngeo (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 21:45

RE: How to over-winter containers in high wind areas?

Posted by northerngeo 3B to 4A (My Page) on Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 20:10

My question us also about overwintering plants. Lemon verbina, pineapple sage, and an unknown but very tender tropical. I live in a VERY windy and dry area. As I write it is blowing a pretty steady 50 mph and gusting well above that. No snow lives long here but in rare years. (Had 2 yrs. ago, spectacular perrenals!) No attached or slightly heated areas, and in 1/2 barrels or large pots so don't think burying is an option. To tender, I think, anyway. Have a heated garden room that I am keeping cool at present (right-wrong don't know, but it is where I start my seeds so it will soon be well lighted and warm. If I invest in full spectrum lighting will that make them sturdy if I cut them back and they start growing. I am at a loss.
Thank you so much for any help that you can offer.

This post was edited by northerngeo on Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 22:48

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to over winter containers

None of the plants you named will overwinter in zone 3/4 outdoors. Your only choice is to bring them indoors, keeping them as cool as possible over the winter. If they are in large pots, I suggest repotting them in something smaller that is easier to look after indoors.I cut my lemon verbena and pineapple sage back in the fall just before I bring them indoors.

o
RE: how to over winter containers

How are your tender perennials doing
That plant room sounds just the thing for success

I had the same problem a dozen years back.
Tender plants in huge pots and bringing them into my back room to overwinter
Pots became so heavy and stuff like that
My solution, well my husband and my solution, was to buy a place in Florida.

I have enjoyed it so much and learned a completely new style of gardening.
Not for everyone , my plan, but if it where not for my love of gardening and my husband loving golf, we would yet be spending winters in Canada and moving pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here