Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drahme_gw

Free Cactus

drahme
17 years ago

Hello all, I am doing some cactus thinning this month and if anyone wants a pad or two from the cactus patch, let me know. Otherwise, the burn pile is getting rather large.

I will gladly accept trades too, as long as it is reasonably certain the trade will grow in northern Nevada and I am not growing it already - always up for a new challenge.

webmaster@ddgnevada.com

dRahme

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cactus Patch

Comments (7)

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

Sorry to be so late in answering, and yes I know it's now truly too late. I spend most of the summer and fall too ill to even consider anything other than minimal garden maintenance. Anyways...if you have spare cacti chunks next spring-summer-fall, I'd love to have some. I only have a few hardy seedlings (about the size of spiny baby peas) that may or may not survive the winter outdoors. If they won't survive the winter, they aren't hardy enough for me! I think I have a few bitty offsets of some small (but not seedling) cacti, too. They have proven hardy over several winters in the tropical part of Sparks, Nevada, so they may be hardy in other parts of Northern Nevada.

Lisa

• drahme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Lisa, I just noticed this the other day and yes, it's a little late in the season now.

I will be doing some more thinning in the spring and anything you see here:

http://www.ddgnevada.com/Cacti.html

You are welcome to a pad or two.

The fastest grower is the largest opuntia and requires either a fair amount of space or a large amount or pruning.

The others are slower growers.

I don't need any more cacti unless it is something unusual, but I am always on the lookout for tough perennials for the wild flower patch.

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Cacti

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to think what I have in the way of tough perennials that aren't godzilla-aggressive. Hmmm....

Lamb's Ears (Stachys betonica) is kind of aggressive, but it grows well for me anywhere it can put down a runner. Hypericum kalmianum is proving to be a serious thug, but you are welcome to chunks of that, too. And Centranthus ruber (Keys of Heaven) just thrives on abuse and neglect--I could dig you a chunk of that. If I could get my dizzy mother to stop deadheading the Penstemon palmeri when it sets seeds, I could give you lots and lots of seeds. I've been trying to beat her to the seed heads for about 5 years now. It's tough (both the plant and preventing my mother from "deadheading"). I have no idea what will have survived the winter in the seedling pots, but the 2004 survivors should be ready to share in any case.

Lisa

• drahme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Lisa,

I would be definitely interested in Centranthus ruber and
    Penstemon palmeri. They would fit in rather well.

In the interim I got hold of a bunch of day lilies out of a 30+ year old patch in Kansas, which should prove interesting. I sent them some pads of the turquoise colored opuntia that I got from Bishop, Ca. It will be very interesting to see how that survives in Kansas.

They promised pictures.

Around April or May, send me an email to dan@ddgnevada.com
    and we can set up a trade date. If you want some silver stripe bamboo, I have that too:

http://www.ddgnevada.com/bamboo.html

Basically, any cactus posted on the optional link I can spare pads of. I have tons of the large opuntia found east of Reno. I have to cut and burn five pounds or so of that every year or it takes over. That cactus is a fast grower, you can make jam and jellies from the fruit but you do need space. Word of warning though, Mocking birds are proving serious competition for the fruit.

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Cacti

• bobbyle
    16 years ago

Hi :)

I'm from Vidin, Bulgaria, Southeastern Europe.

Does anyone here still have some free seeds of anything succulent or whatever? :) I really like having exotic and very-strange-looking plants.

Here's my address in any case...

Borislav Levashki
    94 Tsar Alexander II
    3700 Vidin
    Bulgaria

You could send me a post card if not... :)

• strongoak52
    15 years ago

will accept any unwanted cacti or succulents. my address is 5400 altizer ave. lot 8 huntington wv 25705-1999. thanks

• vkite1_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have a fondness for cacti. Please send to V. Kite, 131 Pheasant Run, Somerset, Ky.,42501.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!