Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easy veggies/fruits in Las Vegas??

Posted by naturalmommys 8A (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 19, 11 at 13:37

I have 2 self watering Earthboxes I would like to fill up with fruits and veggies. I also plan to get 2 more. Last year I got a late start and it was my first year. I ran out bought too much, didn't get the right stuff, bad soil, had no idea what I was doing, etc etc, it was a disaster! Everything eventually died. I don't want to make those mistakes this time around. I hear EB's are great for no gardening experience. Anyway its February and I wonder what seedlings I can start and when? I also would like to know what is really easy to grow. I would like tomatoes and strawberries for sure, would these work now, or too early? Is there some kind of resource list on what to plant here in Vegas at what month?

Thanks so much!
Christina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easy veggies/fruits in Las Vegas??

Christina, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you want "easy veggies/fruits in LV" you'll have to buy them :)

But seriously, there are some fantastic resource available here in Las Vegas.

For fruit trees UNCE (University of Nevada Cooperative Extension). Contact Bob Morris & he'll send you the list of trees recomended by UNCE. They have a test orchard out in the north end of town that has been testing for several years.

The Tomato Lady here in town also has a lot of Info.
You'll have to find her on your own as the link I posted for her generated a spam alert.

Have Fun,

Ted

Here is a link that might be useful: UNCE

o
RE: Easy veggies/fruits in Las Vegas??

Check out the blog HomespunSprout.com (I think that's the site.) Lindsey has managed to grow things year round here. She also has a free gardening class at a place called Pinkpeas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here