Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Yuccas grow outside in the Reno area?

Posted by donna_c NV (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 14, 11 at 13:41

Hi, I'm new to this forum and to Nevada. There's so much to learn about many of the plants in my yard that I've never seen before so I'm glad I found this site!

The previous owners of our home left us an 18+ year old indoor Yucca. It's always been grown inside as a houseplant. It will soon be too tall for the ceiling where it is located. Can Yuccas be grown successfully outside in the Reno area? I don't see any growing in our neighborhood. Alternatively, if I chopped off part of the trunk and head would the now shorter bare trunk sprout new growth? Could I root the decapitated top part and grow it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Yuccas grow outside in the Reno area?

It depends on the species. There are definitely some species that can grow outdoors in Reno, but without knowing what species you have, I can't really tell you anything more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here