Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Reno - what are best books for gardening?

Posted by BluCasetta 7 (I think) (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 15:07

Hello! I just moved to Reno in November and we moved to a yard that has pretty much nothing but grass, gravel and not so great soil. So, the upside is that the clear away won't take too long.

I'd love to know if there are any good gardening books for our region, or where I can find out more about what plants and trees work along with those that don't.

I love flowers and herbs (like rosemary, lavender, etc.) -- but I have no idea what works in this area. And while it states that we're zone 7 (Old Southwest/Cal Arts area), is that what I should go by...or should I go to 6?

Thank you in advance for any help/guidance you can give!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Reno - what are best books for gardening?

Go to the Lowe's and pick up a Sunset Western Gardening book and go to Lowe's garden furniture section and set down and study it for awhile. Or get a Sunset Western Gardening book from the library for awhile. I wouldn't rush out and spend that much as a lot of the book is not relative to Reno.

Have you checked water prices? I don't know about Reno but some surrounding suburbs water prices are prohibitive. We've replace lawns with xeroscaping in Carson City and Fernley.

o
RE: New to Reno - what are best books for gardening?

Go by zone 6 to be safe. Look at sunset as Albert stated. I would go on Amazon.com and get the 2003 edition used for about $10. 2003 was better than the new one. I live in elko, nv and we are zone 5

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here