Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting sagebrush & other native plants

Posted by elaterite Northern Nevada (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 22, 12 at 17:49

Hi -

I'm going to do some xeriscaping by removing some old junipers this spring and planting varieties of sagebrush and other native plants.

Does anyone have any suggestions related to acquiring the plants and getting them established in my yard?

Thanks!

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting sagebrush & other native plants

Hi Bob,
Can't help you my self but you might be able to get that info from BLM . I have been told (allthough have not verifide this) that they have some sort of a native plant program you might check out.

Liz

o

I've collected seed from sagebrush and germinated some. They germinate easily when collected in December but the percentage of seed to germinate is very low. I have never tried to grow sagebrush. The seed from Oenothera deltoides, desert primrose are easy to germinate an grow. One of the finest plants East of Reno, in my opinion is a grass called Oryzopsis hymenoides, Indian rice grass. I can get the seed to germinate but it takes years to produce an attractive plant.

o

If it wasn't for all the wildfires I'd strongly encourage native landscaping. Unfortunately, wildfire ruins that.

o

Drive out in the desert, find a small sagebrush specimen, dig it up and transplant it in your yard.

o

Drive out in the desert, find a small sagebrush specimen, dig it up and transplant it in your yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here