Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenluv_gw

Reno wintersowers?

gardenluv
17 years ago

Is there anyone in the Reno area who has ever tried wintersowing? This is my first year doing so, and I thought if there is anyone, we could compare notes.

Comments (4)

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

I've been wintersowing for two years now. I don't usually start until later in the year because I get most of my seeds through a seed exchange and they don't even begin to mail until the end of the month.

Pretty much everything I've tried has done tolerably to extremely well, although I prefer to start lilies at warm (inside, on a heat mat), then transfer them outside for a cold period. Some species prefer that.

Lisa

• gardenluv
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh good! I am glad there is someone close by in case I have any questions. I started at the beginning of the month with just perennials. My mother-in-law thinks I am crazy so I really want to be successful so I can say "ha ha told ya so!"

• dustin_nevadanorth
    17 years ago

What is winter sowing? Is there a form on it?

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

Dustin, yes there is a Winter Sowing forum. It's down near the bottom of the Gardenweb forum lists.

Winter sowing is basically putting your seeds onto moistened germination mix in containers and then dragging them outside while it's still freezing for a month or several. It's basically the way mother nature germinates most woody plant and perennial seeds, and it's a lot easier than stuffing your fridge full of baggies of soil/seeds for "cold stratification".

Lisa

Sponsored