Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brussels Sprouts in Reno??

Posted by hidesert_windy (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 21, 12 at 23:24

Has anyone in the Reno area grown Brussels sprouts successfully? DH thinks we need to try them this year but I'm not so sure they'll work here :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brussels Sprouts in Reno??

I did not have any luck because of rabbits. However, they should grow fine in Reno. Just start them in early spring on a window sill or in a cold frame and likely plant them in a protected area (behind tomatoes bushes or something like that) to avoid bolting to seed. Here's a link that might help...

Here is a link that might be useful: Brussels Sprouts - Brassica oleracea

o
RE: Brussels Sprouts in Reno??

Well, we didn't plant any this year :( Still might try them in the Spring. DH built me a 4x8 raised bed with a 'box' that sits over it to keep the quail out, maybe I can get him to do a couple more by Spring and try some Brussels Sprouts in one. I tried to get him to go with 'low' EMT tunnels and just put netting over but he wanted the 'chicken wire' boxes. Just as long as the quail don't eat everything as it comes up. The beets came up the day before he put the 'box' on top, and I had to replant them. We tried turnips out in the old garden and they came up in the morning and were gone by evening. How they discovered those tiny sprouts so fast... :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here