Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loganlady

What have you been doing in your garden?

loganlady
17 years ago

It has started warming up a little bit here. 70 degrees during the day!! It is very nice too!!

I'm still waiting for bulbs to show themselves though...I keep wondering if they ever will or did they die with the freezing weather? I guess time will tell. Also waiting to seriously prune plants that got freezer burn,etc...it is so hard to look at them.

On a happier note...I planted some vegetable/flower seeds inside the sunroom the other day. The rest will have to wait another month or so before they get planted in the outside beds.

What have you been doing in your gardens?

Beca~

Comments (5)

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

I've been looking and moping, what with the cold and the lack of precipitation. Okay, so this weekend I'll be potting up my stored begonias, cannas and dahlias. And starting seeds inside.

Lisa

• mohavemaria
    17 years ago

I can't believe how warm it has been this last week. Yesterday we didn't feel the need to put a fire on in the morning or the evening. This kind of weather makes me have to go out and garden. We took out a very ugly fence to our chicken yard are trying to figure out where to put the new one. Would love to do something attractive as well as functional.

A few days ago we went to a great nursery called Turner greenhouse, it's at the Turner's house in LV. Wow do they have a lot of plants, expecially succulents. After buying five different agaves I've been planting them to replace the winter damaged ones in the back yard. We got one called Zebra, Parryii truncata, gemniflora, and I think a varigated and a blue Murphy's.

Oh, I did something sort of brave. We have a very large canary date palm in our front yard. I have never liked it and never felt it went with our house or our landscaping style but it is so big. I offered it to a landscaper I know and he sounds interested in it. Wish I would have done this four years ago when the tree was smaller and we would have had something nice and well established by now. Life is to short to keep plants around you don't like even if they are big and hard to get out.

Also since winter is almost over it is definately time to get the mail ordering done. High Country Gardens here I come!

Happy Gardening, Maria

• loganlady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Maria

I wished I knew about the Turner greenhouse!! (Ok, where is it?) We were "visiting" LV the last couple of days...celebrating my birthday :):) Alas, I am only 21!!! LOL...add a "few" more numbers (+33-did I say that???) to that one. I would love to check this place out as well. Next trip. We visited the Garden Springs Preserve...and Plant World too(nothing new there)...also Cactus Joe's on the way home. Does anyone know if C. Joes is a bit expensive on their stuff? It seemed that way...it is off Blue Diamond and 159 hwy. Cool place (7+ acres).

It looks like we might get some rain...Mt. Charleston is getting some snow. Have fun out there in your gardens!!

Beca~

• mohavemaria
    17 years ago

Hello Beca,

The address for Turner Greenhouse is 4455 Quadrel Street. To get to it you take the 93/95 north towards Reno and exit at Craig Road. Go left (West) about a half a mile to Quadrel. Turn right(North) on Quadrel and it is on the right hand side of the street. It is a residential neighborhood but you will see a lot of trees and succulant stuff in boxes and pots in the driveway so that is a good tip off. If they are not out back you can just knock at the door and they'll take you back. There is so much to see I only took some of it in but they had some great stuff that I thought I would have to mail order in.

Happy late birthday. I'll let you be 21 if you'll let me be 18. Deal? Just don't ask how old my kids are. I better get outside, one of our horses died last evening and they are coming to get her soon.

Maria

• loganlady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maria,

I am so sorry to hear about your horse passing. So sad.

Thank you for the address of Turner Greenhouse. Hopefully we'll get there one of these days. It is so nice today-we are at 70 here!!! Winds are up and cold but hey.

My bulbs are coming up in my rose containers. That's exciting...crocus are already blooming :):) I am waiting for bulbs to come up in the raised bed. Not sure if they will or not. Time will tell. I've been pruning outside...forgot how much fun that can be-ugh. The body is already rebelling from moving (hehehe)...where is the Advil? Some of my seeds have popped up in my jiffy greenhouse. I am having to transplant a couple of nasturtiums already :):) I love this dining room window-it gets good warm (sometimes hot) light daily.

OK..I'll give my age: 54!! Yikes. Don't feel it (except when gardening-LOL) but hey numbers don't lie. My kids are 27 & 25!!

Beca~

Sponsored