Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themayocynic

What are we doing?

themayocynic
14 years ago

To get ready for the warmer weather, I've already started seedlings that occupy every window in the living room, dining room and kitchen. I know it's early, but I've got the 2010 gardening bug. Unfortunately I live in a small house so I have no room for a plant light shelf and the cheapie greenhouse I got at Lowe's a few years ago got chucked into the garbage last year.

As weather permits, I'm prepping my front yard and raised veggie beds for the coming season. Also, I'm researching different floating row covers to possibly make so that I can avoid using the widow sills for seedlings.

I also bought a 3-pronged soil ph and fertility tester which tells me my veggie beds have too high of a ph and not enough fertile soil. Will start planning how to deal with that.

What are you doing this cold and rainy Saturday?

Comments (6)

• gardenluv
    14 years ago

I have been wintersowing for two months now. If you're not sure what that is you should really check it out.

Themayocynic this would be perfect for you. Like you, I have no room for light stands etc. inside. I do start some tomatoes and peppers in a couple of my windows. The rest is done outside in milkjugs.

I already have foxglove, salvia, dianthus, alyssum, and snapdragons that have sprouted outside.

I have sorted through all my seeds and every week sow a few more containers. By the end of April I hope to have about 90 types done.

Today I planted three more tomato seeds (Pearly Pink cherry, Warren's yellow cherry, and Red cherry) and another Jalapeno seed. (My window sills will only hold so much so I have to do them a few at a time).

I am so ready for this rain/hail/snow to be done with!

Oh...and I went to Raleys and bought four boxes of girlscout cookies! I am set for the rest of the weekend!

• themayocynic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gardenluv, I tried the 2 Litre bottle tops in my veggie beds. Unfortunately, the dogs thought they were toys and kept pulling them out. I would like to try again, but I'll have to ask around since I don't drink soda and my husband prefers cans. We don't drink a lot of milk, so we just get the quart size. If I make my floating row covers, then I suppose I won't have to scavenge for bottles/jugs.

I did buy a wire garden edger for one of my veggie beds. If it stops my girl dog from getting into the beds (she's not as well-trained as our boy dog), then I'll get more for the other bed.

• gardenluv
    14 years ago

What kind of veggies are you planning on doing? At my house we will have between 20-30 tomato plants, some pepper plants, greenbeens, strawberries, and herbs. I also have a rasberry bush that is only a year old. I'm hoping to get some berries this year. I also garden at a friends house where we grow lots of squash, pumpkin, cucumbers and corn. I am so looking forward to spring!

• themayocynic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We always plant various tomatoes (sweet 100 and a few different kinds of russian heirlooms), sugar snap peas, lemon cucumbers, ichiban and black beauty eggplants, zucchini, patty pan, crook neck and we have two artichoke plants. Each year we fill in with new things to see what grows well. Thinking of not doing patty pans and crook neck.

This year we also have potatoes, broccoli and onions which we've tried at least once before and are giving a second shot. Trying a new kind of squash, kiwi vine, scarlet runner beans and okra. The kiwi, runner beans and okra I plan on putting in the front yard mixed in with the flowers I plant. In the fall I planted an elephant garlic bulb. We'll see how all of that goes.

If the artichokes don't produce well this year (they've been slowly becoming less stringy since I got them, but still not really edible), I'm going to move them into the front yard. If they like it there and produce more edible flowers, great. If not, they'll be treated as "just plants".

This morning I put up the wire edging around one of the veggie beds. My little girl dog was eyeing it as if to see what plan of attack will cause the most destruction.

• gardenluv
    14 years ago

Hopefully the edging will help keep the dog out. I have to put up an entire fence to keep my dogs out of things so I understand.

I still have to decide which of my perennials is going to be ripped out this year to make room for new ones. I have four large clumps of BESs and 3 clumps of purple salvia. Something will have to go, I just don't know what yet.

• themayocynic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Taking a break from outdoor chores. This weather is perfect for doing some gardening! I just finished planting some lily bulbs and cutting back some of the variegated vinca. I'm debating whether or not to try transplanting my lamium under the false weeping cherry now or to ensure I have something to do on the next nice day HAhaha. Maybe I'll go see what's new at one of the nurseries...