Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to get free (or cheap) wood chip in Reno

Posted by korerko Reno, NV (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 13:31

I'm looking for some economical ways to mulch my garden before the heat arrives. Currently it's just bare exposed.

People around here suggest to use weed barrier (landscape fabric?) topped with mulch. I see that rocks are popular in my area, but after seeing how much it'd cost (>$50 for cubic yard) and how difficult it would be to remove them if I change my mind in the future, I think I'd rather go with something organic, such as tree bark.

But tree bark is just as expensive as rocks! That leads me to using maybe those wood chips I see in playgrounds in town. I see they're pretty soft with about 3-4 inches, not really splintery(?), and will stay rather longer and prettier than hay.

Does anyone knows where I can get them and how much it would cost (free is best!) around Reno? Or I'd be glad to hear any comments and suggestions you may have.

Thanks a bunch!
K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to get free (or cheap) wood chip in Reno

Go to Craigslist.com and in the Free Stuff you will find posted for March wood chips, manure, etc. Good luck. I like using wood chips. Hay or straw will blow away.

El

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here