Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for landscape plants

Posted by shabbado Las Vegas (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 17:28

I have a good sized back yard with a ton of vegetation. Bushes, trees; all kinds of stuff. Anyhow, I have a few spots where I would like to add some new plants, so I am asking here for suggestions.

I would like something that is flowering and can do ok without much sun, as the spots do not get much. I have tried a few plants in the locations without much success, but I am pretty sure they were plants that required much more sun than they were receiving. Also, I would like to put something under one of the trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for landscape plants

There are annual flowers that grow here that can receive partial sun. I have a flower bed along my front patio that gets partial shade so I know the challenge! For annuals look at pansies, marigolds, and sweet peas.

There are a number of bulbs as well. Lillies, hyacinths, tulips and daffodils will all tolerate partial shade.

Flowering bushes like bleeding heart (this one can do full shade!), morning glory, coral bells, candytuft, mexican honeysuckle and penstemon all do well here and can handle the shade.

Hope these give you some ideas!

o
RE: Suggestions for landscape plants

This is a website that has some useful information including a vegetable planting guide for this area. http://desertgardening.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert vegetable planting guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here