Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenluv_gw

What do you have growing right now?

gardenluv
14 years ago

I have spring fever and have started some tomatoes and peppers inside. Here's what I have so far:

(1) Early Girl

(1) Tigerella

(1) Roma V

(2) Beefsteak

(1) Brandywine

(1) Better Boy

(1) Speckled Roman

(1) Yellow Stuffer

(1) Black Cherry

(1) Jellybean

(1) Garden Peach

(1) Jalapeno

(1) Long Red Cayenne

I also have a ton of things growing outside including: daisy, mexican hat, snapdragons, alyssum, foxglove, dianthus, english daisy, carnation, salvia, BESs, white lychnis, dames rocket, lettuce - freckles romaine, agastache, and peppermint.

What do other Nevadans have growing?

Comments (13)

• hidesert_windy
    14 years ago

We did Garden Peach a few years ago, that was fun :) We had two plants I seem to recall, and got tons of nice small sized fruit. I have to run right now but I'll post of list of what we've started inside so far.

• themayocynic
    14 years ago

Inside:

scallions
    okra
    scarlett runner bean
    eggplant
    cabbage
    mesculin
    zucchini
    chocolate cherry sunflowers
    gerbera daisies
    various carnations and poppies

outside:
    bulbs are coming up
    hellebores have some blooms that aren't open yet

still in packets:
    chinese lanterns
    romanesco broccoli
    black sea man russian heirloom tomatoes
    black tula russian heirloom tomatoes
    tiger stripe tomatoes

• themayocynic
    14 years ago

oops, forgot:

in packets:
    lemon cucumbers
    sugar snap peas

outside:
    potatoes

• gardenluv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My seranos finally emerged along with a few more tomatoes and some very cute coleus seedlings. I need to seperate those, and it kinda scares me!

I just received a ton of really neat seeds in a trade so I've got to get sowing this week!

Has anyone in Reno tried to grow Hibiscus???? I have the seeds, just not sure how well they would do here.

• gardenluv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I seperated my coleus seedlings today. Wow, in one cup I had 12 little seedlings! I still have another cup of them to seperate, but will wait for another day. I didn't realize there were so many! And to think, I only wanted like 6!

• themayocynic
    14 years ago

You're so lucky gardenluv! I can't wait until I have shade so that I can plant coleus...and hosta...and ferns...

• valree3
    14 years ago

I've got my seed pots on heat mats right now to warm up. Tomorrow I'm starting:
    Tomatoes: Super Sweet 100 cherry
    Brandywine pink
    Amish paste
    Black tomato
    Bush early girl
    Better bush
    Cherokee reds
    Peppers: Corno di toro reds
    Basque peppers? Got seeds from a basque friend
    Ancho peppers
    Blue Fescue grasses

And I'm going to try to grow licorice plants this year.
    This past monday we got 9" of new snow and this morning 2" more. We need the moisture up here in the Elko area but I'm ready for spring and warm weather! I have a whole bunch of other seeds to start but its still a bit early to start them. Have you guys ever tried lil" lope canaloupes?

• gardenluv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Licorice plants seem interesting....I'll have to add that to my want list. I have never tried lol' lope canaloupes, what are they?

• valree3
    14 years ago

According to territorial seeds (territorialseed.com) lil loupe canaloupes are the perfect single-serving size (2lbs.each)canaloupe with firm, sweet, bright-orange flesh and full-size flavor. 70 days and a good choice for cooler summers. I think I may have been suckered into buying these seeds but I cant wait till later this summer! I've never tried to grow licorice plants and the seeds are tiny. I'll wait and see...

• gardenluv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just got one of their catalogues. Normally I buy my veggie and herb seeds from Heirloom Acres Seeds, but Territorial has a huge selection, their price seems okay, and the descriptions are great. I may have to try them out next year. Let me know how those cantaloupe are!!

Sometimes it amazes me that such tiny seeds can grow some pretty big plants.

• hidesert_windy
    14 years ago

This is what we have up so far in cups:
    Tomatoes:
    Beef Master 2
    Pink Ponderosa 2
    Black Cherry 2
    Magnum 2
    Yellow Currant 2
    Jubilee 2
    Isis Candy 1
    Sweet Baby Girl 2
    Copia 2
    Super Beefsteak 1
    Marianna's Peace 1
    Big Zebra 1
    Snow White 1
    Tumbling Tom 3
    Mr. Stripey 2

Peppers, Bell
    Chocolate Beauty 2
    Red Knight 2
    Early Sensation 2
    Purple Beauty 1
    Orange Sun 2

Peppers, 'Hot'
    Garden Salsa
    and I have 8 Poblamo types started but they aren't up yet :(

Onion sets in the ground

We also have in cups:
    Cilantro
    Chard
    Chives, onion and garlic
    Bok Choy (we cheated and bought the BC from WM)

There were quite a few tomatoes we still wanted but I don't know where they'd go. I've never gotten a Big Zebra to do anything, have my fingers crossed for this year. I might start some others, not sure if there's enough time now. I haven't started any of our 'squash' or cukes yet, is it too early to start seeds inside for those?

• themayocynic
    14 years ago

hidesert_windy, I've started lemon cucumbers already and have a few sprouts. Since the RGJ said we could start our cool weather crops now, I may have more window sill space to start zucchini and crook necks.

I'll be transplanting my cabbage and onions out in a little bit. I need to read up more on scarlet runner beans. If they can stay outside now, that will free up a lot of space as well.

I have three veggie beds. I plan on using the smallest one for okra this year. If I can plant cool season crops that will be done by the time the okra can go out, I'll use the same small bed I think, at least for sugar snap peas.

• gardenluv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

IMO squash and cucumber grow very quickly. I started some inside a couple years back, and decided not to again. It is easier for me to just wait until it warms up and direct sow those ones. That leaves space inside for me for my tomatoes and peppers.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths