Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maridy_gw

Azaleas grown around Reno?

maridy
14 years ago

I saw at Winco in Reno that they are selling azaleas. I lived in the Pacific NW for a time and fell in love with them and would love some azaleas or rhodies, but didn't think they could be successfully grown in this area. Has anyone grown them around the Reno area? Is there a specific variety that does better than others here? I am up at the top of Sun Valley, so I guess technically I'm in zone 5. Can they be grown in a container so that they can be moved when the weather gets too harsh? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments (2)

• themayocynic
    14 years ago

I was wondering about this as well, maridy. I saw some azaleas at one of the nurseries over the weekend that I thought would be perfect in my front yard. I didn't get it, though, because the rhodie I've tried growing has just about had it. Could be where I planted it, but I've tried it in two spots before I thought it was too weak for another transplant. I did get blooms from it last year though.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else grows either here as well.

• famartin
    13 years ago

Soils in Nevada are generally alkaline, and generally speaking, rhododendrons and azaleas absolutely require an acidic soil. With much effort it could probably be done... but I wouldn't bother, personally.

Sponsored