Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maridy_gw

Blackberries/Raspberries grown here?

maridy
14 years ago

Does anyone in the Reno area grow Blackberries or Raspberries with any success? (loved the abundance when I lived in the PNW and would love to grow some here). Is there a specific variety that does better, and where would I find it? Oh, and same with Strawberries. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• themayocynic
    14 years ago

There's a house near me that grows blackberries. It's in ground and doesn't seem as invasive as I've seen them (I lived in Washington state for awhile and they were pretty invasive). I tried growing thornless ones in a container (because I was worried about them being invasive) but they didn't survive more than two seasons.

• valree3
    13 years ago

I grew blackberries when I lived in Gardnerville. I don't know what variety they were but they loved being next to the irrigation ditch! Also I have 2 aunts (in Gardnerville) that have incredible raspberry patches. 1 aunt grows 'September Reds' not sure about the other aunts variety. I live in the Elko area now and I have a friend that grows raspberries in Lamoille. She has no problem growing them. We're in zone 3-4 and I'm starting a raspberry patch this spring. I ordered my berries from noursefarms.com. Nourse have a great selection of berries. I don't think you'll have any problems with berries in the Reno area. Good luck!

• poajoan
    13 years ago

I had a large patch of raspberries before I moved to my new house. They do very well with drip irrigation, but the deer like them as well as roses and apple trees. LOL
    I have strawberry plants-ever bearing with runners-if you would like some. Im replacing them with alpine strawberries. I live near red rock road and 395, with nothing between us and the top of Peavine so im more than ready for some warm weather.

Sponsored