Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gflame_gw

Las Vegas wind and winter freeze questions

gflame
17 years ago

Been in Las Vegas for a year and am trying to adjust to the crazy conditions. My backyard faces South and has a completely unobstructed open desert view. It's beautiful but the wind is unbelieveable (and I am from Chicago). Everything I buy gets blown over, blown in the pool, blown into the house. I had some nice potted mini palm variety trees. The wind whipped all the leaves into a frenzy and it died within a week of purchase. I've now gone with deep rooted plants only to have the wind blow all the dirt out of the pot and tilt the plant over with roots exposed. Any suggestions for helping these plants survive and stay strong enough for the wind?

Also had to deal with this past harsh winter that killed half my landscaping. I have one tree in front that landscapers swear is alive (he scraped bark from the base). The poor thing has dried up fern like leaves and the branches break easily and are as dry as a bone. Anyone know how to tell if it's really dead or alive? Is it dormant? How long do I give it before giving up--all the other neighborhood trees have begun blooming. Thank you!

Comments (5)

• mohavemaria
    17 years ago

Hello,

It sounds like you have a couple of questions. About the plants in the pot getting blown out. When you first put the plant into the pot it is not going to be well attached but if you could put it in a sheltered position for a couple of months it will hopefully give it enough time to spread its roots and fill in the pot which should keep it firmly attached to your container.

About the stuff that died this winter. I am looking for a tree and went to moon valley nursery and was surprised at all the plant material they were selling that is not hardy in a cold winter here. When I commented about it I was told that it was okay because they have big oil heaters they use to keep thier plants alive through cold spells. Hmmm, do they give a heater along with every frost sensitive tree they sell? I think not.

Where your branches on your tree are dry start breaking them off and look inside, if it is all brown it is dead there but if you have green inside it is still alive. Keep breaking until you hit the green. If you don't your tree is dead. Do you know what kind it is? I have two trees that have not broken dormancy yet but thier branches are pliable not stiff so I know they are alive. They are acacia pendula a. shafneri and everything else is going like gangbusters.

A lot of stuff sold here either isn't hardy to the cold, doesn't like the heat and sun, or dislikes the alkaline soil and water we have. That said there are a lot of plants that love it here and if you plant those you can enjoy the beauty that comes with healthy, happy plants. But your yard won't look like a Chicago or Florida landscape.

Maria

• loganlady
    17 years ago

I understand too. I am in Pahrump (which is west of LV) where the winds really blow too.

This winter and now spring has been harsh!! You can make some wind breaks that will support your mini palm trees. Check in garden books for how to bulid them. Or if it is possible...build a fence. We did that and it stops the winds from just taking over the yards. Don't get me wrong-they still blow but not as harsh. My backyard faces southeast and without that I doubt I would have many plants.

Maria has good ideas for you. Her yards are beautiful and she uses only native plants for her landscape. My yards are the same way with some containers and one raised flower bed with roses, pansies, chaste tree, petunias, etc...for color. I also have an olive tree and a desert willow tree that just started growing back from the winter. I have done the bark check on them...knew they were ok, but they looked really dead.

If you need help buying plants look into High Country Gardens catalog-this place sells only for areas like ours. I think it's just easier going along with native plants here...I've been living here for 2 years and have discovered it's just easier doing that.

Good Luck!!!

Beca

• gflame
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for the replies. I think the only sheltered area of my yard that would help the potted plants get established is in the house. The wind just whips. I mean I've had to chain my heavy patio furniture to the house posts as it kept blowing into the pool. You'd think I live on the ocean. :)

As for the near dead tree, the outlying branches are definitely dead, no green inside. The trunk of the tree is green when you scrape it. I'll have to look up what type it is in my home owner's as it came with the house.

Agreed about going with native plants. I have a sanseveira (sp?--mother in law's tongue) that I brought over from Chicago. It's roots are very deep and well established but the wind knocked many of the stalks down. Not sure how well it will hold up in the summer heat or with the continued wind. May be back inside for the poor sans! Thanks again.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    17 years ago

I had a dust devil pick up a tray of seedlings from my deck. The last I saw of my plants they were moving eastward along I-80. The point being, you will just have to plan for and even then assume some unexpected wind damage.

• transplantedmark
    16 years ago

Hey there all. GFlame, I know exactly what you are going through.

I am from just north of you in Kenosha Wisconsin and have lived here for 8 years. I love it but the plants...well it take a lot to get used to it seems. I have a wonderful Silk Tree out front that is doing great, I love the look of it. It is a little messy, not that much though, not compared to my African Sumac, wow.

As for in back, I have...had Queen palms that I bought from Moon Valley along with some Carolina Cherries. Well the Palms are dead, the Cherries...well...they are looking more like zombies. I told them we wanted some plants around the pool for both a privacy screen and to help shade the house. It has been over a year and a half and I am not happy at all.

Plants I have had a lot of luck with are Jasmine, Sagos, Sumac(ew) and Silk tree also called a Mimosa. In the next couple weeks I am planning on getting some Mesquite trees, another Silk and some smaller shrubs.

BTW, do not believe all you hear about some of the shrubs out here either, I have burned through a lot of native types that just will not grown at my house for some reason...IE: Sage.

As for stock, I have had some good luck with believe it or not, Home Depot, Lowes and of course Star.

When I finally get some more plants in I will do what I can to post some pics.

Oh and one final random thought, for watering pick up a moisture guage. They are about 5 bucks and since I have gotten one it has helped me out a lot for amount of water needed.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH