Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slow group (?)

Posted by abq_bob USDA 5 / SS 2 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 11 at 16:48

Anyways, I'm getting ready to move out to Vegas next week. I've lived in Phx. and Abq. and it looks like LV is situated between those two, as far as climate goes.

For now, I'm going to be in an apt. and relegated to flower-box type plants. I'll have two (covered) balconies, one facing south, and one on the SW corner of the building. I'm hoping to grow some fragrant plants - currently thinking Jimson Weed, Rosemary, Passiflora, and possibly Jasmine and Bougainvillea. Most of which were marginal in ABQ due to lack of warmth, so I'm hoping they do better in LV(?)

The balconies don't have railings, they're solid, stucco walls, so they will provide shade at the soil level.

I have several of those 36" x 6" x 6" plastic flower boxes
that I used to have on my patio in ABQ. which I'm hoping to reuse. Plus some large, deep ceramic pots (18" dia x 24" deep). Any other suggestions, esp. fragrance or "wow" factor (a la passiflora)? In one of those deep pots I've already got a pineapple with several pelargoniums (scented and flowering). I'm thinking of maybe putting an artichoke in another (?)

Anyways, just looking for more ideas, and confirmation/or not on my current selections. TIA!

--Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slow group (?)

• Posted by abq_bob USDA 8 / SS 11 (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 20:54

First season - some hits, some misses; that's to be expected I guess.

Hits (stuff that survived Winter out on the balcony in containers):
Trailing Rosemary
Passiflora caerulea (no blooms, but it is coming back from its Winter rest, it'll probably bloom this year - year 2 from seed)
Lemon Verbena
French Lavender
Spearmint (wild, collected in Utah)
Amarylis/Hippeastrum
Pineapple
Heliotrope (from seed)

Misses (stuff that died, mainly over Summer, well before Winter's onset):
Geraniums/Pelargoniums
Thyme (the taller, old fashioned kind)
Variagated Mint/Apple/Pineapple Mint
Heliotrope (nursery plants)
Pineapple Sage
Ground cover type of verbena
Salvia ("May Night")

I just planted a bunch of seeds for this season - hopefully they will do better now that I know a bit more about what to expect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here