Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie to Gardening and Forum

Posted by Timna Nevada (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 19:05

Hello everyone!

I am from Northern Nevada and new to this forum and to gardening. This will be my first garden. Does anyone have tips for me, what to plant? when is the best time to plant? what flowers do best and where? What books, magazines or websites I should read? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie to Gardening and Forum

Welcome Timna! The best place to start is at your local Coop. extension office. You can get all sorts of info from them about your area, when to start plants, soil, zones for growing plants, etc. If you want to veggie garden, think about the things you and your family like to eat. Start with a small garden the first yr and then add to it in the coming yrs. When you find out your growing zone, flowers will be easy. Pick the ones you like and want to see in your yard. Read the flower labels, they will tell you how to grow them. Your local nurseries may also have workshops and you can learn from them. I really like Fine Gardening mag. I have kept the mags. over the yrs. and go back to them when I need info. Better homes and garden garden mags. are also great. Cut out pics. of yards that you like from mags. and you will soon see a style that you like. Copy that style and from there you can add your own personality to your yard. I also like the Western Sunset Garden Book (pick it up at home depot, lowes, costco sometimes and bookstores). The Garden Primer by Barbara Damrosch is a good basic book on gardening. Check out the other forums on GardenWeb for info. I have found really good info. The Nevada forum isnt a very active one. Drive around your area. This will tell you what plants do well in your area. If you see a yard or plant you like, stop and talk to the owner. Gardeners love to talk about their yards! Good luck and keep the Nev. forum updated on your progress and your yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here