Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themayocynic

Is yarrow invasive here?

themayocynic
13 years ago

Just picked up a yarrow ("Summer Wine") because I've seen it growing up the street and thought the foliage was interesting. Took it home, hopped online and read that yarrow can be invasive. Does anyone grow it in the Northern Nevada area and is it invasive?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• valree3
    13 years ago

I grow a couple of different varieties of yarrow up here in the Elko area and haven't found it to be invasive at all. Its really hardy, grows quickly, is deer resistance (YEAH!) and easy to transplant and divide. The roots aren't very hard to dig up. Common yarrow can be a problem if left unchecked in open spaces and meadows, but in your yard go ahead and plant it. They flower for a long time and you can trim them back with no problems.

• themayocynic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info valree!

• gardenluv
    13 years ago

I grew some Yarrow in a window box. It came back each year, but didn't spread hardly at all.

• themayocynic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm glad to hear that it's hardy but not invasive in this area. I planted it and it looked dead a few days later. I took a look at it this weekend to see if I should just hack it off and put it out of its misery, but I saw some vibrant new growth under all the dead foliage. Let's hope my Disney rose that I planted the same day recovers as well 8\

Sponsored