Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to gardeing and this forum

Posted by carsonsnowski Zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 22:38

I just recently moved into a house with a small back yard in northwest Reno, Nevada . I am new to gardening and need as much help as possible. My back yard gets little direct sun, it mostly gets in-direct sun. I do know you have to plant for your climate and sun exposure. I would like to know if anyone knows what plants and flowers are good to plant in this situation.
Caroline

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to gardeing and this forum

You will be amazed what you can grow in not perfect conditions. I would check out the local nursery and see what they recommend, but take some chances on a few plants that need good amounts of sun and see if they grow.

o

I recommend a visit to Dry Creek Garden Company on South Virginia, about two blocks south of the Home Depot across from the Hacienda Del Sol. There is a traffic light right where you turn into their little parking lot.

In more general terms, stick to things hardy in frost zones 5 and 6, and forget about anything zone 7 for Northwest Reno. Also bear in mind that even cactuses need a bit of supplemental water here to survive. Drip watering is great, and you don't have to water as much.

Overall,slash-nevada is right: there is a LOT you can grow here. Drive around older neighborhoods closest to your area and observe what grows well in yards. Take photos and/or notes to bring to the nursery so you can get the plants that really appeal to you.

Roses do spectacularly well here, although I recommend you only grow own-root (not grafted) varieties. You may have to use mail order to get own-root roses, but ask at the nurseries for own-root roses anyways. Roses do well here because the air is so dry and blackspot is seldom, if ever a problem. Blackspot is a disease that causes roses to lose all their leaves, get weak and even die in damper climates than ours.

o

Just a bit further east hollyhocks do quite well. They are inexpensive to try. Get a 97 package of seed and plant outside. Sometimes they won't bloom until next year but usually you will get some this year and can save seed this fall for more than enough next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here