Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Balboa Sunset Trumpet Vine

Posted by gingerb_13 NV (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 17:14

We are just buying our first house here in Vegas, and so I have been looking for plants I might like to use in our yard. I am totally new to this and it's a little overwhelming once you begin looking in to the possibilities! I have read about the Balboa Sunset Trumpet Vine and how invasive it is.... but can I grow it potted? I'd like to find something to climb 2 columns we have in the back which support a covered patio. I like that this vine grows fast, blooms and attracts hummingbirds. Any suggestions....??? Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Balboa Sunset Trumpet Vine

Be very careful. I bought a 'Madam Galan' Trumpet vine which was supposed to be "less invasive." It went totally crazy in our sandy soil and all efforts to completely eliminate it have been unsuccessful. That said, the only way I could see containing an "invasive" trumpet vine, even if it were in a pot, would be if the pot was placed on concrete. The plant's roots will grow out of the holes in the bottom of the pot and will escape and send runners all over your yard if you plant it near soil. Googled Balboa Sunset Trumpet vine and can see why you are tempted. Blooms on my vine were orange but the Balboa looms appear a lovely red.

"Be afraid, very afraid"...kind of a Halloween vine. It will choke you, your yard, and your little dog too...

Here is a link that might be useful: Trumpet vine conversation

o

I don't think you have much to worry about when it comes to the invasiveness of plants here in Las Vegas. We have less than ideal growing conditions compared to areas of the country with fertile soil and abundant natural rainfall. I too have tried growing Madame Galen Trumpet Vine and it does make it through the heat with adequate moisture. It does have beautiful tropical like flowers through early summer. I've found hardy aggressive varieties are sometimes the best choice for challenging landscape areas where nothing more than an a desert spoon may survive. If you have any questions, I'm happy to share my experience with killing plants in the desert:) The desert can turn a green thumb brown rather quickly...growing plants can be done though!!! P.S. another favorite of mine is cape honeysuckle.

o

Hi, I live in the high desert area of southwest Idaho and purchased the Balboa Sunset trumpet vine in 2007. I have had no suckers and I remove the seed pods after it flowers so that it won't get into the farm fields. It's a really beautiful plant and has bloomed since the first year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here