Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drahme_gw

Been a while

drahme
15 years ago

Hello all, it's been a while. I spent most of the last year stuck up in the Yukon learning such esoteric terms as Muskeg, Bitumen, Timbits and the proper pronunciation of the expression 'Aye?'

Meanwhile back in the lower 48, the back yard did quite well.

I did lose one Malus Prairie Fire but that was about it. I am beginning to have my doubts about this species in Nevada. It appears it is quite thin skinned - literally.

I got in all the veggies last week and we got most of the pots planted out. And what happens? 15 minutes of snow, hail and flash flood last Sunday. Other than the hail denuding most of the petunias, all seems to have survived.

All of the cacti I got from NotoLover survived the winter and some of them look to go gang busters this year. Some great photo opportunities lie ahead.

This year we are going back to tomatoes with a maturity of 60 days or so max, and tomatoes which when ripened are actually red in color, and not orange or purple or the other myriad colors (with the exception of Yellow Pear). It causes too much confusion, much to the delight of the mocking birds and jays.

I am really not very happy with the Greenhouse Garden Center this year. I am for supporting local businesses, but not to the tune of $4.00 per vegetable start, $36.00 for roses and fricking outrageous prices for hanging baskets.

The one good thing I will say about the garden center is that perennials sold out of there do not generally croak after the first frost. That is worth something.

Let's see, what else can I complain about...............

- other than the fact that the dishwasher and pressure tank for the well died in the same week but I have my 'Economic Stimulus Package' check to pay for that......so not much.

Yard commentary:

http://www.ddgnevada.com/plants/2008-05/0508.html

Best wishes to all this growing season,

dRahme

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler