Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljrmiller

why is our climate so danged strange?

ljrmiller
16 years ago

Okay. I am completely stumped. The four cacti I have in little (about large coffee-cup size) pots that I leave outside all winter shoved up against the house (if I remember and don't leave them sitting on the edge of the One is an Echinocereus, one an Escobaria, one a Pediocactus and one an Opuntia. The Opuntia is a species not supposedly hardy here--just something I was too lazy to drag in. So the Pediocactus and the Echinocereus are blooming beautifully, and these four little guys just look as happy as can be.

Then, out front, in the driest area of my garden, near the Penstemon palmeri (to give you an idea of how dry), I have another Opuntia, this one supposedly completely non-hardy, from Lowe's; and an assortment of Echinocereus and a Pediocactus. The Opuntia (the one with just the little reddish bristles) is growing happily, the Pediocactus is hanging in there, and everything else is struggling. All of the ones out front except for the Opuntia are supposed to be hardy.

I thought that stuff in pots, especially dinky little clay pots, was supposed to be horribly susceptible to cold, and stuff in the ground did better. So why, oh why, do my plants insist on making me crazy like this?????

Comments (3)

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz