Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molliepop_gw

What can I grow with limited sun in containers in Las Vegas?

Molliepop
9 years ago

Hello, I'm Mollie and I'm new to Las Vegas. I'm from Florida, where I had a yard and could grow just about whatever I wanted.
But here I am in an apartment complex. I live on the ground floor, and have limited outdoor space. Only one side of our building gets full sun, and I have two nice patios that are in shade all day. And only one (tiny) window in our place gets any sun (it's in the bathroom and I'm growing a lily in it!)

So my question is, since I am new to this place, what can I grow on my shady patios that will withstand the heat? And are they fairly forgiving plants?

Most plants I look at require full sun (and the part that gets sun only gets it in the afternoon).

I love fragrant plants and edible ones. Been wanting to start and herb garden but I just don't get enough sun (I think).

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Comments (4)

• aniajs
    9 years ago

You could try various herbs. They're cheap and relatively easy to keep going. Do you get any sun (ie morning sun or reflected light) at all on the shaded patio? Maybe basil or rosemary or sage or cilantro. You could also try some tropical-ish plants in the shady patio. Or lettuce. I'm not that familiar with the climate (I'm up in Reno), so I don't know how much heat the patio will get if it's shaded.
    Another resource would be your local garden center. They should be able to tell you what does well. You could also take a look around your neighborhood and see what, if any, plants other people are growing in similar light situations.

• eureka
    9 years ago

Hi Mollie: I am a Master Gardener and I also work for a well known nursery with several stores in town. For your shady patios I would recommend putting together a container of Coleus of different colors. They are very attractive in many size leaves and colors. You need to nip them back so they don't get leggy. You could also buy Hearts and Flowers which will grow like mad, and spill over a pot. It has a small red flower and the leaves are very bright lime green. These also work in hanging pots too. There is possibly some Hosta's available that could go into a container. Jasmine, either star or Arabian would be super nice because they have such lovely fragrance and do best in shade. There really are a number of choices available if you go to one of our nurseries. There is always someone available in the Info booth. Another idea that you might experiment with is locating a mirror on your patio that perhaps picks up some sunlight and lightens the patio. With a little sunlight, you could get a Mandevilla vine in white, red or pink. They don't want any direct sunlight but they need some bright light to flower. They are very attractive. Don't give up on herbs. If you can catch some additional light, herbs likely will do fine. I recommend that people who grow them, keep them under shade cloth during summer anyway. Give them a try if you don't mind an experiment and a little money.

• grannypeck
    9 years ago

I too am up in Reno... and there are tons of veggies that grow in partial to full shade... all lettuces & greens; chard, kale, root crops, onions, garlic, beets, etc... anything that does not produce fruit from flower... like tomatoes or peppers... they just take longer... with LV being hot in summer the fact that you have a shade garden is really a blessing so that the plants wont bolt in the heat... yay for you!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations