Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking to meet other local backyard gardeners

Posted by newbietoreno 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 23:18

Hello! I moved to Reno 3 months ago from San Francisco. I am having to re-learn the little I thought I knew about gardening because the climate is so very different here. I am living in a house with only a small gravel yard so I have been doing all my gardening in containers. So far, I have had good success with herbs and veggies, just wish I had more space. It's all trial and error, and I am learning. Since I don't know too many people in Reno yet, I was hoping there might be some other people in the area that might like to form a group or meet up to talk about what we are growing, what's working or not working, exchange ideas and plants / seeds / resources / tools / fruit / veg / herbs.... just help each other out. I am in the SW area of Reno and I hope someone out there would like to meet up. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking to meet other local backyard gardeners

I can't find the address of the place. UUFNN, may be on del Monte Lane, has some raised beds out back. A group supervises children gardening about 10:30 each Sunday morning and perhaps other times too.

o

I would also like to meet some fellow gardeners from Reno. I have recently retired and so have much more time for gardening. Have taken Masters Gardeners classes and am looking for a gardening club.

o

I've not really started on the back yard as I'm still trying to pin down the final direction of my front yard, but I think I'm getting close. I'd love to meet with other gardeners either way.

o

So where and when do we meet? It would be cool to meet in each other's gardens. I love seeing what other people are growing. Our region is so unique with the poor soil and lack of humidity. I grew up her in Reno/Sparks. My grandparents could grow just about anything here. I have very fond memories of their garden. I really need some ideas on mulching. I'm a novice veggie gardener, but have been doing flowers for years. I recently took a leap of faith and completely took out all of our lawn. I have vegetables and flowers in the front. Getting the back redone as I type. I want a shade/woodland garden in the back. We could meet first at my house/garden. I hate to wait until the season is over before finding some gardening friends.

o

I live in Spring Creek, Nv. Further up North than you, good luck with a garden. The growing season is so short here that nothing has time to mature. I would suggest raised beds and covers, it will extend your growing season, hopefully, by a couple of weeks. Im lucky tho, I have greenhouse, (neener, neener, lol,). I would suggest, if raised beds are mabye a little too permanent for your living stiuation, that container gardening is the way to go. Believe it or not, you can grow just about everything in a container, plus, if you have a garage or some sort of large outbuilding, you can move the containers inside and out of the frost. (Which happens farily early here in North and Northeastern Nevada.) Good luck and keep us updated on your gardening success!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here