Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone and planting guide

Posted by trudyandilda none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 0:57

Hi,
We are moving to the Rancho Haven area of Reno and would like to know what the zone is. Also, where might I find a planting guide?
I love gardening and am looking forward to a new garden!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone and planting guide

I'm not sure of the location of Rancho Haven? What part of Reno? Planting guide. I've seen them at Moana Nursery on Moana and the nursery on McCarren and Mayberry-not sure of the name. Zone? That's a good one. When I get my Breck's catalog, they insist we are zone 5. The maps usually deem us zone 7a. I go with 6. Seems closest. I think Ely is zone 5 and they get much colder than we do. Are you from Northern Nevada or another state?

o
RE: Zone and planting guide

I am out east of Reno and I can see three zones from my back yard. You might try asking at Gardening in Nevada. Another thing I would recommend is the Sunset Western Gardening book. I would recommend getting it from a library first rather than putting out that much money. Lowe's often has one. You can take it to their yard furniture section and set there and browse it for free.

Many places in the high deserts you may want to think of yourself as in one zone, the hotter one, in the summer and a colder zone in the winter. However if you are on a slope in Reno that might not be necessary. There are links to zone maps at AHS Plant Heat Zone Maps by State. - Vegetable Gardening Forum - GardenWeb,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here