Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Las Vegas, what will grow here?

Posted by newbiegardener z 10 SoCa (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 11:47

Hi all,

I just moved to the Las Vegas area from California and am renting a home here.
I did some container gardening in So. Cal but didn't bring any plants with me so I'll be starting all over. My yard has the typical desert landscaping and the irrigation system doesn't work well. I have agreed to hand water for the time being (I like hand watering).
I would love any tips or ideas from you pros, heck I don't even know what zone I'm in!

Thanks,

K.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Las Vegas, what will grow here?

Rocks grow well in Las Vegas. Okay, I'm being silly. I hope some of the southerners in this forum will provide better advice--I know it's wetter (barely) and hotter (considerably) in Las Vegas than in Reno, but it can get cold even in Vegas. It even snows there (rarely).

If you have itchy garden fingers, drive around older parts of town with neglected gardens, and look at what's thriving in those yards. Take pictures of things you like, and show the garden center people the pictures. That's about the easiest way I know to find truly reliable plants no matter where you live.

o

• Posted by beca 8b-NV (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 13:47

Welcome K.

I'm over the hill in Pahrump (west of LV). Moved here in 2005 from southern California (south orange county-Rancho Santa Margarita). Gardening here can be done but it is tricky. Lisa has a great idea. You can also visit the Springs Preserve in LV. (info: www.springspreserve.org...ph:702-822-8344) near US-95 and Valley View Blvd. They have a brand new place that is free to walk through the gardens and check out the plants. They do charge to check out the new exhibits so call and see what interests you. Go visit Star nursery (I like the one off of Blue Diamond) or Plant World nursery (off of Charleston Blvd)...ask the people there. My place has roses, bulbs (not now), annuals (pansies/violas grow well here and re-seed)...also have desert plants that are beautiful: red yucca, lavendar, rosemary, olive tree,etc..lots more I can't name them...fruit trees (apple, peach,apricot)...we are also have 3 vegetable raised beds with eggplant, basil, tomatoes, cantalope, peppers, carots,etc...
It does get very windy at times so prepare well for that.
It will get cold in the winter too. Ask your neighbors about this past winter-alot of us lost plants because it was so cold. If you can consider a drip system...not sure if you can do this because of renting but it's well worth it. Maybe the owners would consider paying for it?? Who knows? You will tire quickly of handwatering.

Good luck!

Beca

o

Lowe's carries a nifty product I call "black spaghetti" with their RainDrip systems. It uses the same connectors, but it's 1/4" soaker hose like the bigger recycled tire stuff you can get as hoses. I made a whole tangle of "black spaghetti" and just wound it around on the ground to water plants that need it--the plants quickly grow to cover or at least sort of conceal it, and you can always pull it up again. No digging needed :-).

I suppose you could bury these little lines, but it's a lot easier to spot breaks and tears when they are above ground, and you only need a pair of utility scissors and some more connectors to set up, mend or add to the system.

o

Hello K,

Welcome to Las Vegas. We've been here for 17 years and it is a different world plant wise from a lot of California but can be rewarding especially if you try to grow the plants that actually like our brutal heat in the summer and tolerate our sometimes harsh winter chill.

Like Beca said you will probably get tired of hand watering eventually but if your desert landscape is well established and has real desert plants you may only have to do it once a week in the summer and less in the winter. Bulletproof plants here include the texas rangers (leucophyllums), lantana, Salvia greggii, Bird of Paradise, red yucca (Hesperaloe parvifolia), Sotol (Dasylirion wheeleri), Agaves, cactus, the wonderful desert trees, mesquites (prosopsis), palo verdes (Cercidiums), acacias and so much more.

It would help to know what you are interested in doing since you are renting and it sounds like the house is already landscaped. Also this is the very hardest time of the year to plant anything although if is one of the above mentioned plants and has been out in the sun and not under shade at the nursery it should be ok.

Beca has a good idea with going to the Springs preserve and the old desert demonstration gardens on Alta just east of Valley View. It is not nearly as nice as it used to be but you can still see some good plants. Also the Community College has a nursery in front of thier campus on Charleston that has a lot of plants in the ground that you can see what things look like mature and they have some great desert plants there also. Oh and for the best mature desert trees and a lot of other great plants you should go the Ethel M chocolate factory and cactus garden. It is off Sunset where it turns as Mountain view.

Hope you learn to love our great desert plants,
Maria

o

Hi All,

Thanks for the welcome and the great suggestions! I am going to make a list of places to go and view plants; that alone should keep me busy for awhile. I'm afraid I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys, definitely don't know the latin names for plants but I'm sure I'll learn with your help.

In California I loved flowering plants and since I was in an apartment I was a container gardener which I probably will stay.

In a couple of days I'll post pics of the current landscaping, there are two dead plants in the front yard but don't know what they are nor if they'll come back. There is a drip system but it is currently not working well and I before I knew any better said I would hand water and she could have it repaired later! The homeowner is a Californian as well and I'm sure not knowledgeable about how the terrain is out here.

Thanks again for all your help; I am in the Henderson area; how can I determine my zone?

o

• Posted by beca 8b-NV (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 15:27

I put in Henderson zipcodes in the GardenWeb's zone finder in Tools & Directory section....

89014 or 89014 is zone 8.

o

Thanks Beca,

That's a useful little tool!

-K

o

I purchase a house and have not done anything with the landscape. The previous owner planted palm trees which was a mistake. Two out of the three palm trees are too close to the house. The front yard is mostly covered with rocks but I need a lawnmower to cut the grass and weeds that continue to grow thru the rocks. Im not sure if I should remove the palm trees or move the palm trees to another location on the acre lot.

o
Moving to Las Vegas...

I just found this forum. Great starting point! My family will be moving to Las Vegas next month, August 2011, being transferred and I have plant's here in Baton Rouge that I was checking out to see if they are worth moving.
We have not gone to yet to see LV and was wondering where are good areas to live? We are 2 fifty year olds and have a 12 year old son. We are white and cool but not crazy! My wife's office will be near W. Charleston Blvd. and S.Tenaya Way. Thanks! MARK

o

Welcome to the desert Mark!

Your wife's office is near Summerlin which is one of the nicest suburb in town. Definitely a good place to look if you can afford it. There are nice apartment complexes also if you don't want to settle for a house yet. Pretty much anywhere along the 215 beltway is nice from the Southwest to the Northwest where I live.

Obviously, it will be hot and dry but there are lots of microclimates in the valley mainly due to winds so you should be ready to experiment and expect to lose a few plants the first year.

I'm struggling with climbing plants and vines but have had great success with tomatoes and sunflower plants (and cactus and succulents of course).

The sunflower experiment has actually been pretty rewarding: 1st year, I got 2 smallish flowers maybe 3 feet high that never fully bloomed but I left them there and this year (year 2), without me planting any new seeds, I got one huge beautiful sunflower that is currently 6 feet tall with a beautiful flower. Moreover, two cute praying mantis have made it its home and are eating the bugs found all over the leaves.

o

there are so many things that grow here.. seems like there is blooms on something year around. .. it is a dry heat here. 2 days ago the humidity was 4 per cent.. but a gardenia will grow. and lot of roses and the one i like alot is called a texas ranger.

o

I'm moving to Las Vegas in 2 weeks for a job, after container gardening in Chicago and Minnesota for years and um, yikes. Talk about a different climate!

I'm not a terrible gardener, but I'm completely clueless about how this whole "desert" thing is going to work to the point that I'm honestly not sure what to google.

I know it "Gets really hot" but I'm getting the distinct impression that my little tundra-dwelling brain is having the same amount of difficulty wrapping itself around the ramifications of "one hundred and fifteen degrees and dry" as my poor floridian husband's had as I explained to him "thirty-four below zero" ("what do you mean it goes BELOW zero!? Zero is the bottom.")

So this thread/forum has been incredibly helpful but I do have a few things I'm still confused on.
- Any good books/resources worth purchasing on containers gardening in the desert? I'm happy to do my own research, I'm just so terribly ignorant in this area any help would be great. (I checked out both of the nursery links)
- A lot of people mentioned that the soil gets HOT during the day. Right now I have a mix of ceramic and plastic containers but will probably leave them in minnesota with an aunt. Is there any particular type of container that's better for the desert? my brain says light colored plastic, but...
- Should I use a more water retaining soil than I have up here? I've used Al's gritty and regular mixes for the last few years with awesome results, but is a fast soil a worse thing when the water evaporates so fast?
- This is probably the stupidest question but the one I can't seem to find an answer to; Stuff that says "full sun" up here like my peppers or cilantro...would it be safe to assume that in full sun in vegas it would cook to a crispity crunch? How much "shade" is too much/ not enough for sun loving container plants?

o

As for books, my first suggestion for Western gardeners is the Sunset Western Garden Book. I suggest that rather than buying it, at least until you have examined it, is to borrow from a library. I believe Clark County libraries are part of the inter-library loan system that we use in the bush but I may be wrong about that. I have gone to Lowe's, seen something that was of interest, went to the Lowe's book shelf and looked the plant or seed up in the Sunset Western Garden Book for sale there.

o

This section is so helpful! My husband just retired and we are in the throes of moving to Las Vegas's Tropicana Palms Manufactured Home Park. Anyone live in that area, please do not hesitate to give me a heads up...we only know one person in the area so far!!

o

Sunset has a new book called the Southwestern Garden book. I am not familiar with it. Go to Lowe's and scan it to see if it has useful Las Vegas suggestions. Also, remember to check water cost in your area.

o

Las Vegas is definitely NOT wetter than Reno. It is, in fact, the driest major city in the country. Drier than Phoenix and Tucson, that's for sure.

o

Have already learned a ton from postings, what great folks. I just purchased a home and will be spending time in Las Vegas from September-April. Love the advice about drip system and plants that will succeed. Question, what about planters during the winter. Do succulents survive. You guys talk about winter, but I live in Iowa for goodness sakes. I know there is occasional snow, but can you cover your planters and hope for the best? Wow, big learning curve here. Will be visiting sites mentioned in posts. Again, thanks for such great info.

o

The USDA has finally released an update to the 1990 plant hardiness zone map. This new map incorporates a longer data period (1976-2005) and more accurately takes into account how elevation affects climate in the western United States.

Most of the Las Vegas is now listed as zones 9a/9b except for some of the western parts of the valley which are zone 8b. For outlying areas, Pahrump is zone 8a/8b, Mesquite is 8b/9a and Laughlin is 9b/10a.

Here is a link that might be useful: New 2012 USDA Plant Zone Map

o

Hello everyone Im new here to garden web and I also recently pick up a house here in las vegas. I have lived here all my life but now finally have the room to really build a garden! has anyone experimented will complimentary plants?

i am looking to grow veggies such as peppers tomatoes, etc.. and I had the idea of growing corn rows on the west side of the peppers and tomatoes to shad them from the afternoon sun. has anyone tired this or found good ways to protect the plants from the beating summer heat other than building a shade cloth screen thing?

thanks everyone!

o

I have really good luck with sunflowers, wildflowers, four o'clocks, and hollyhocks are really popular here in las vegas. I'm recently experimenting with california poppies and climbing vines.

o

@ MrRogersLV:

A wonderful source of information is Linn Mills, Horticulturist at Las Vegas Valley Water District, who regularly has a column in the Review Journal.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/gardening-linn-mills

Linn is also affiliated with the Las Vegas Springs Preserve, which holds quite a few workshops on gardening.

http://www.springspreserve.org/

http://www.springspreserve.org/apps/event/index.cfml?query=workshop

You can also contact someone with the Master Gardener program. Here is the link to submit questions online. Or you can call them at 222-3130. Years ago, they used to have info packets you could receive by mail. I don't know if they still do this, but it's worth a phone call to find out.

http://www.unce.unr.edu/programs/sites/mastergardener/askus/

Here is a link that might be useful: Las Vegas Springs Preserve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here