Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redneckgardener_gw

Heat Wave?

redneckgardener
17 years ago

How is the heat wave effecting your garden? By golly, I think mine would all be dead if we hadn't put in a drip system! But, with the drip line, most everything is doing beautiful. I'm wilted, but oh well....

Hopefully the weather folks are right and it will cool off a bit next week.

How has this heat effected everyone else?

Cara

Comments (4)

• highdesert
    17 years ago

The 3 digit temps have played havoc with my garden (let alone me!) with standing wounded and the dead lying in the field!

I watered and watered, but lost quite a few newer plants.
    Tomatoes slow to fruit and the bush beans have been a disappointment (weather or soil? You have to know it is bad when sun flowers wilt!!!

Oh well, maybe next year will be better. I know I will have to 'downsize' my garden, no matter what the temp!

El

• loganlady
    17 years ago

I also have 3 vegetable raised beds with drip systems...my zuchinni's died last week (go figure that one out? LOL)...I have tons of assorted tomato plants...they look good but are not growing much fruit (what I have picked is delicious though)..my friend said the high temps stop the plants from doing this. Got alot of anaheim peppers and green peppers too. Basil is growing like crazy!!! Anyone need basil or pesto???? I have plenty LOL. I am tired of the heat though-can't wait for fall.

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

I have a soaker hose system, and manually water whatever else needs it. It's too hot to do much checking, though.

Lisa

• Kmac
    17 years ago

Hey, the heat wave is officially over (for the time being) in the Reno/Sparks/Carson City area. What a joy it was to wish i had long pants on at 7pm tonite as i did my evening chores. I didn't have to turn the swamp cooler on today! The dogs looked alive all day. At 10:45am I took the horses on a ride up to the top of our local "hill", Prison Hill @ 5400' and at the top we were blasted by the wind on the west, sierra facing side. Refreshing! I start a new job tomorrow so it was a great way to bid adieu to the end of my 'summer vacation'. May the zephyrs be with you!

Btw, in all of the heat, the tomatoes made it thru unscathed. I have 1 each of 4 different heirloom varieties, each one esconced in a 20 gal black plastic container. They are planted in pure, prime, aged (2+ years) horsey ca-ca. All 'maters are setting muchos tomates, and are finally just turning color,. so we may be able to eat some b4 Labor Day after all!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor