Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Help is Welcome

Posted by UglyYard none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 16:38

Things to know about me:
1 - I never gardened before.
2 - Don't laugh but I am afraid of insects. Yes I know about 99% of the food I have eaten has had an insect on it. I probably even swallowed many without knowing(gags) But I still want to garden. I need to.
3-My yard is not working. My husband and I planted grass and it has died. It seems everything we plant something bad happens.
4-I have tried growing plants indoors but got a mini fly like infestation that would not go away. And believe me we tried everything from home remedies to sprays that specialized int hat stuff.
5-Our yard has no privacy. In the picture I posted the wall that we share with neighbors is chest height on their side. Their yard is higher up. Their kids use that wall as a bench.
6-I have begged from landscapers for ideas on what to do. I get no response.
7-We have a stray cat(we are allergic to cats, could end up in the hospital if in contact with one) The cat will not go away unless I step outside. He comes back when I go inside as if teasing me. But it destroyed a canvas drape I was using for privacy. If I call the humaine society they cannot do anything unless the cat is in reach. Well that doesnt help.

Please anyone I want to plant a garden but I am not sure how to keep cats, rodents and insects out. Do I need to build a cage? My soil is clay like. Please help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Help is Welcome

Check the price of water. Some places in Nevada it is ridiculous to try and have a yard or garden. I've even quit a border of annuals.

o

Trap the cat and let the humane society take it away. Don't leave it in the sun though! That would be horrible!

You can't keep wildlife out of a garden. It really sounds like you may want to consider putting in raised beds, or even container gardening.

MULCH HEAVILY!!!

I'm not surprised grass died - you're in the DESERT. Grass doesn't belong. Look into xeroscaping.

EDIT: Wow, that was a necropost! There's not much traffic here I guess if a 2 year old post with a year old response is still on the first page of the forum, LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Horace McCracken self-watering raised beds for desert environments

This post was edited by zensojourner on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 2:58

o

This is a website that has some useful information including a vegetable planting guide for this area. http://desertgardening.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert vegetable planting guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here