Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying Timber

Posted by betaka Nevada (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 07 at 18:26

Hello, I am building a tiered flower bed out of wood a friend gave me after she tore down a fence. Problem is, I need a few more logs but cannot identify the what type of wood or design they are at this time. I think they smell like cypress but they have unique design. Anyone able to help? Thanks much. Also, please excuse the composting horse poo in the pictures.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/6/0/3/4/webimg/56870272_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/6/0/3/4/webimg/56870262_o.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying Timber

I didn't look at both pics just the first one but the wood was very weathered so I have no idea what it might be. I just wonder if using it go hold dirt for the flower bead is a good idea. Ordinary wood rots in dirt. It really needs to be redwood, Cedar or preferably pressure treated. It doesn't look like pressure treated or redwood. It could be cedar but it doesn't look in too good of shape so even it was and you got more cedar it seems like the old wouldn't match up well with the new.

I wonder if you could make a bed of the size that you have wood for and then maybe a different section of rock, brick or pressure treated so it wouldn't have to match? it seems like this would be easier than trying to find what you have.

Good luck, Maria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here