Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Late Season Crops - Roots

Posted by hidesert_windy (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 19:58

I received an email from Territorial Seeds today, re root crops to plant now for late season harvest. I have never planted anything so late, and with all this heat would never have thought of it.

So what all have you northern Nevada gardeners have planted in your veggie gardens this time of the year. I REALLY want to try turnips again since the quail ate all our early ones, and parsnips which I have never even attempted to grow. If I want to plant some now, what is the window for getting them in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Late Season Crops - Roots

I haven't had the greatest success with late season crops but I was thinking of carrots, garlic, onions, bok choi, cabbage and greens/salads since I still have seeds and a medium-duty row cover when the weather starts changing. Possibly even sugar snap peas and various beans.

For me, it all depends on when my husband turns off the water system for winter and I'm stuck using a watering container or the most inconvenient outdoor spout we have which is the only winterized one.

o
RE: Late Season Crops - Roots

I didn't do much of anything, I did put in a second planting of beets which we are slowly pulling, and I just put in some romaine sprouts. I need another raised bed by spring, one just doesn't do it. I had no room left but I did get in one (ONE) turnip which we ate two days ago :) It would have been nice to have some waiting to pull throughout October and maybe even into November.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here