Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drahme_gw

Summer, Wine and Poodles

drahme
14 years ago

You know, you would think that this site would generate a bit more conversation than what it has in the past. Almost seems like it is a generational thing. Either that or the newer generations are a heck of a lot smarter than those of us who have been through the wringer in becoming semi-successful Nevada gardeners.

Anyway, the grape thing actually seems to be working - there are a couple dozen pea sized grapes on the Marquette grapes and the vines are slowly making their way up the worlds cheapest trellises. My concern is that they are not going to harden off enough before the first major hard frost. We shall see.

Over the years we have actually grown enough vegetation that there is a pretty good privacy fence in early July. The tamarisks are wonderful breaks, attractive and unfortunately exude salt which prevents anything but the sturdiest of flora from growing around them.

And this year, we have new neighbors directly across from us. Gone are the two boats, two RV's and over junk which did a fine job of creating a privacy fence.

What to do, what to do. Well, my time in the mid-west spawned a fascination with hedge apple trees and the barriers they can provide. Last year I got a couple more hedge apples, kept them in the garage until they turned into mush and then spread the goo out in the fall to see what would happen in the spring.

Not really spring, but a couple weeks ago the goo sprouted numerous seedlings and as of this writing the seedlings have their first set of new leaves. I built a hedge apple patch and seeded it with these seedlings.

How will this work out? Well it seems as tough as these plants are, they need a bit more of a growing season than what we have here, so they will have to be coddled come winter. If they do go, imagine a hedge of bright green lilac bushes and every bit as thick.

About the poodle / doodle thing: We are now the proud of owners of a new 401K program, a standard parti-colored poodle. The critter is amazing. He is 10 points (at least) smarter than any dog we've ever owned, the calmness is extraordinary and man, can those dogs run. There must be some greyhound in there somewhere. An outstanding selection for someone looking for a larger dog, high on the IQ scale with a level of maturity at such an early age the I have not seen.

Oh Yeah, about the garden...........

This year was for everything grown from seed only to ensure we actually get what we in theory thought we planted.

Special emphasis is on patty pan squash and lemon cucumber, with three varieties of early maturing tomatoes thrown in for good measure.

The chard reseeded itself, along with a couple brussels sprouts.

The spices ...........boy if you want strong, pungent spices all you need to do is discover your watering system failed for a week or two. If you like strong spices - cut the water supply.

~Drahme

Comment (1)

• drahme
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Since I actually have some more spare time and am not stuck up in the northern tundra that is the province of Alberta, CA in the oil sands (but really Tar Sands)....I shall pontificate further.

The quail thing has actually got out of hand. One can only eat so many crock potted quail and not onsider alternatives. The major problem areas this year are the wild flower patch and the raised bed gardens.

This year I enclosed the entire wild flower bet in chicken wire and bird netting. Early returns look promising. However for whatever reason, what ever likes carrots has made a concerted efforts in removing all greenery from said seedlings. There does however appear to be an answer.

Tom T, from my neck of the woods in northern Nevada built a series of A-Frames to protect the seedling summer crops from quail depredation and it has apparently worked for everything but carrots. The A-frames are staying on a bit longer for the carrots. I built an extremelyy cheap A-frame of chicken wire and 1x1 pine for the more delicate veggies last week. Appears to be working so far.

-------------

Future Tip:

Squash Bugs

Never heard of Squash Bugs until I moved here in 1991 and over the years have finally figured out how to deal with them. THe answer is, you don't. You let everyone else deal with them. Wait until late May or early June and then plant your squash. Squash bugs it seems, delight in the earliest producers of squash flowers and tend to leave the Johnny Come Lately squash plants alone.

One would respond that if you don't get those plants in early and due to the short growing season that you are cutting off your nose to spite your face if you don't do this.

My response is: How many car-loads of Zucchini do you need to produce that you think you can actually consume? Not that many.

Plant squash later than everyone else in the neighborhood and the the Squash Bugs will tend to ignore what you have in favor of everything else. I have been doing this for the last six years and it works fabulously.

------------

For those who like Cacti:

Cacti to great in Northern Nevada and if NotoLover is still around and you want some, everthing I got from here has been growing gangbusters.

However, one thing I have noticed is that after a couple years, that single pad you planted which is now 3' plus in diameter; the center rots out and the pads producing flowers are living on borrowed time. Take a close look at the pads. If they start looking wilted and they are getting enough water, look at the original pad(s). Odds are they are dead and the rest of the pads are living off of water reserves. They will shrivel and die because the center of the plant is dead.

The best thing to do is remove the entire patch and select a couple healthy pads as a replacement. These will in turn grow, replensish the patch and look outstanding until the center gives up the ghost. I'll put up a page or two later abou this.

~dRahme.

Here is a link that might be useful: June