Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sago Palms Yellowing Soil Type?

Posted by
slash-nevada Nevada
(gw:slash-nevada) on
Mon, Jul 3, 06 at 22:23

At the front of my neighborhood, we have 5 of the worst looking sago palms I have ever seen. Mine in the backyard are not looking too good either and are yellowing too. Can anyone tell me if they have green sagos growing now in the heat of the summer, what they were planted in, how much they get watered (days and gallons per week approx.) and how much they were fertilized? Does anyone use any special fertilizer to make up for the "soil" we have to use here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sago Palms Yellowing Soil Type?

Welcome Nevada gardeners! In south Georgia and north Florida, where they are common, some of the best looking sagos grow in shifting shade. Also, you're dealing with some chronically alkaline soil & sagos like it a bit on the acid side. Regular water in well-drained soil.

o
RE: Sago Palms Yellowing Soil Type?

I was thinking Sagos needed more acidic soil--probably ironite would do the trick nicely. They probably also want more shade in our brutal sun. I grew one in a pot a couple years ago, and it did fine until it got winter-killed. I was seeing just how far I could push my climate zone limits. It doesn't reach to Sago palms, that's for sure!

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here