Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_southerncal

Favorite Nursery in Nevada?

bill_southerncal
17 years ago

What is your favorite nursery? While driving around near my parents house in North Las Vegas, I noticed that one of the Star Nursery locations is less than a mile away. It was great to talk to one of the nureserymen about my project to plant some fruit trees and flowers. In a nutshell, he said:

1. Fuji Apples, peaches, plums, nectarines, etc. do well enough in this hot climate to produce a decent crop. If they sell it, it will grow, he promised. However, he recommends planting in the fall using newly delivered plants to minimize shock and facilitate strong growth before the July-August heat. I will be back visiting parents in September and hopefully will find new, healthier trees. Some existing stock like dwarf peach tree leaves were burnt to a crisp. Afterall, they been sitting in a small 5-10 gallon black plastic container.

2. Though others have, se said he has NEVER gotten good fall tomatoes. His spring crop is typically very good. He said the problem is that the window for good pollinization is small. But if you're conscientious and lucky with weather, you could be successful.

3. Star nursery had some handouts for area newbees like me. I learned that Gardenias can thrive if grown mainly as a shade plant. It's my mom's favorite flower, and I hope to grow just one or two, along with a rose.

I also went to a Wal Mart and their nursery person said roses could take the heat in full zun. She said to make sure I work organic material into the soil (I ALWAYS do), fertilize it monthly, and it should do fine.

Then, I went to the local Home Dept. They had a Fuji apple tree and other fruit trees. The Fuji looked sick with rust. The other fruit trees looked like they weren't going to make it. They also had some orchids inside. Of course, no one there would fess up to knowing how to grow them.

Definitely, Star nursery is the star of the local places. I admit that Wal Mart and Home Depot have great prices, though. In between trips to Vegas, I hope to read some of the books posters here have recommended (thanks, guys).

Bill in So. CAL

Comments (3)

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz