Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I plant now? Is it too hot? (Las Vegas)

Posted by lenaowens 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 07 at 10:44

Hello everyone. I'm new to Las Vegas and I've been enjoying reading your posts and I'm sure this is the best forum to join. This is my first post and will be my first attempt at planting a few edibles on my patio. My questions are: When is the next best time to plant anything and what? (vegetables and/or herbs in particular). I'd like to get started right away. I have a small patio....maybe 8 x 10 ft and I'm thinking about filling a plastic swimming pool with top soil, with a few holes in it, and raise it off the concrete. Do you think that will work? Thanks for any and all advice in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I plant now? Is it too hot? (Las Vegas)

Hello Lena(?),

Welcome to Las Vegas. I don't know where you are from but if it isn't from the desert you will find growing things different here. This is probably too late to grow warm season vegetables but fall is a great time to get cool season vegetables in the ground. Things like, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, cabbage, lettuce, onions, etc.

I don't know about your swimming pool idea. It seems like it could get heavy when it is full of dirt, plants and water and it might be hard to support it well. Also because drainage is important to plants I wonder if a few holes will be enough. Maybe if you put gravel in the bottom and the holes but then that will add to the weight. Hey, if you already have the pool I guess it can't hurt to try but I'd probably try something a little more like a pot, maybe five gallon buckets with drainage holes punched in?

Anyway a lot of things I try aren't successful but it's a learning process and after 17 years here I'm definately still learning.

Good Luck! Maria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here