Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ghost town in here...

Posted by beca 8b-NV (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 07 at 11:08

Finally fall is almost around the corner and most of us can't wait. Another summer to put behind us...THANK GOODNESS! I have grown tired of this heat.
My gardens are doing well. Once again the vege beds are very active...growing tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cantaloupes (tons!!!), basil, and more. My apple trees are also looking good.
Just wanted to see if there was anyone else alive and kicking in this forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ghost town in here...

Hello Beca,

I too am glad to be almost ready to put another summer under the belt - although - my husband just informed me it is supposed to get up to 108 all week. I hope the newspaper is right, it said 104.

It seems that few degrees cooler Pahrump is than las vegas makes quite a difference with your vegetables. Mine all died off except for one pepper plant and the Okra. Now if I could just figure out what to do with the couple of Okras a day I get. I did plant some yard long beans a couple weeks ago and they are taking off and I'm trying pumpkin (again) and zuchinni(third time). I planted some from seed because the nurseries get fall tomato plants too late for them to be productive before winter here but I might have been too late, they are awfully small and it is almost time to be putting them out.

The rest of the yard has taken a few hits this summer too as it always does. It seems every year my yard moves a little more "deserty" as the stuff that really doesn't like it here dies or looks so bad I yank it anyway. I did get some new plants at the college this summer that I'm really excited about. An acacia jennerea that I hope will be perfect to help screen the new house going up next door with it's very strong colored stucco. Also some agave colorata to replace the A.zebra that has been really struggling, and an abutilon palmeri since the one I previously got proved to be an imposter when it bloomed small purple flowers instead of big apricot ones!

I also have some wait until ten years from now projects going. My eucalyptus trees and creosote and some other southwest natives that I'm growing from seed.

I'll try to get around to postine a pic of a some true desert lovers that help make summer bearable, the cordias.

Maria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here