Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proper pruning of Pomegranate tree.

Posted by slash-nevada NV (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 15:28

all alliteration aside, what is the proper pruning of Pomegranate trees please! I have a dwarf Pom tree that is more resembling a bush right now. Do I let it grow wild for a year of two and then start shaping it? This is the second summer for this tree. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proper pruning of Pomegranate tree.

Go to the Californis Rare Fruit Growers site. ( crfg.org ) You will find pomegranates in their "Fruit Facts" section. It will give you all the information you need
John

o

Hello,

I'm not sure what variety you have. The one that I know is dwarf is basically a small shrub and would never be prunable to a tree form. I have the most common variety called "wonderful". I let it grow as a bush for two years and then I started pruning it to tree form in the winter. It still tries to turn back to a bush and I have to keep after it but it is a pretty thing and one of the few fruiting trees I've tried that actually loves it here in Las Vegas.

I would wait until winter if I where you because then you can see the form better and then I would prune out a nice multi-trunk shape out of it.

Happy Gardening, Maria

o

Thanks, lots of good info at the website. I will wait until winter to prune back my tree, thanks for the help Maria.

o

Oops. Mine got very tall (the main shoot is at least 6' tall now!) There are two others, and they are about 2 feet tall. What should I do?

o

Sshanky,

It is helpful to know what kind of pomegranate you have but it doesn't sound like a dwarf if it has a shoot six feet tall. I would just leave it alone for a couple of years before trying to make the pomegranate into a tree if that is what you want to do. A lot of people leave them as bushes and they like it just fine that way.

Maria

o

I have 4 pomegranite trees 10-12 ft tall. 3 produce beautiful fruit one however located more on the west side ( the trees are lined up west-east) bares small fruit and they crack open right away. Is it lack of water? Any suggestions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here