Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any tips on taking care of an olive tree?

Posted by St8kout none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 20:39

I was about to post here for help on identifying it, but the Fedex guy came by and said it was an olive tree.

I just bought this house in Vegas and am using the previous owner's water sprinkling system he installed, but it looks like the tree is dying. Lot of leafless branches mixed throughout and the leaves seem to be curling up and getting brittle. All the other plants close by are triving (rose bushes, various desert plants and cactus (don't know enough about them yet to name them. I'm from Baton Rouge, what do I know, lol).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any tips on taking care of an olive tree?

Get an identification. If it is an olive tree it could be quite valuable and considerable effort and expense might be indicated. If it is a Russian olive then it is widely regarded as a pest and you should expend effort and expense only if you want the tree.

o

Well, there's a closeup pic on google images that looks like mine. I looked at pics of Russian olive trees and mine doesn't have the yellow flowers nor clusters of olives. In fact, the olives are few and far between. I didn't even notice them the first month here. The birds seem to love them though.

Upon further searching I caught an article saying Clark County Nevada has a BAN on olive (and mulberry) trees. Say what?!!! The tree has to be decades old.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-10380522.html

o

Looks like existing olive trees before the ban are allowed, but there is no way I can prove when it was planted. Looks like Arizona also has a ban on them. It's all because of the pollen. I've had pollen allergies since childhood but I have not had any problems since moving here from Louisiana. If anything, my allergies have cleared up.

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/1831408/olive-trees-the-good-and-the-bad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here