Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil

Posted by desigrl NV (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 15:40

I made a raised flower bed by my front door and planted a few various plants and roses. this summer was hot and terrible. Some survived and some did not........ Well it is cooling down again and i wanted to maintain it and plant more.....well the soil is all white and i bought good stuff. Its completely white......what is this and is it bad. I don't want the stuff that's there to die...the surviving plats are looking good...... but im worried.....

any help please....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil

• Posted by eureka SS11 LasVegas/Hender (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 21:42

Good for you that you put together a raised bed. Raised beds are much like container planting, they need water everyday because they dry out quickly if you don't have an irrigation system laying on top of the soil. Water is likely why things didn't survive. You also should have mulch of 3 in on top of the soil so the water is held in longer, and the sun doesn't super heat the soil which can get as high as 108* easily and will cook the root system. If you are trying to put bigger plants with a more expansive root system in like roses ( they need at least 24" on soil to grow down into). The white on top of your soil is the collection of salts, lime, and calcium that is naturally in our water. We have very hard water with lots of minerals. You likely believe you have a fungus, not true, it all minerals. You need to water thoroughly and deeply to move the salts and some of the minerals through the soil. You would be helped by buying a moisture sensor at some place like Star Nursery so you can check the soil to make sure it is really getting thoroughly damp. The soils you may have used may not hold water well. You may need to add some additional soils that hold water better. You can check for that at Star or Plant World. Also you can visit the U of N - Reno, Coop Ext Las Vegas at Windmill and the 215 see raised beds that successfully grow veggies and many other plants. There are Master Gardeners there M - F from 8 - 5 and if you watch the newspaper, you will find many classes available to you at the Ext.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here