Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themayocynic

Anyone build a greenhouse in Reno?

themayocynic
11 years ago

Hi all,

Has anyone built a greenhouse in the Reno area? If so, I would love to hear what you used, how you might be heating it and if it can allow you to grow during winter or if it's simply a season extender. I would use it for vegetables.

I have tried the pvc hoop house option with very little success. The plastic cover never seems to stay where it should, especially if there are strong winds like in early spring. No amount of stakes and river rock seem to help.

My wish list is for it to be something I can stand in and isn't permanent in case I have to take it down. I don't want to pour a foundation but if someone got creative with cinder blocks, I would be very open to that. Kits are so expensive though once in awhile Harbor Freight has an incredible deal on their 6' x 8'.

I have access to buy used windows of various sizes and have kicked around that possibility as well. Before I do that though, I would like to know if it's worth it, or if I just buy a few to build cold frames for my raised beds.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (12)

• hidesert_windy
    11 years ago

Wondering if you built your greenhouse. I'm getting ready to do a low tunnel on a raised bed, hoping the wind won't be too much of an issue. I have never come across any used windows, but would also like to do at least a cold frame. ANYthing to overcome even a little of our delightful weather.

themayocynic thanked hidesert_windy
  • DemonsHollowAsylum
    11 years ago

I am not in Reno, I am in Winnemucca. I have built a green house here but it is not a conventional styled one. I plan to be hearing it with a little buddy propane heater this winter because of our severe weather this last year.
    This green house was originally a harbor Freight 10X12 that I had when I lived in Fairview. I would advise you NOT to rely on the crappy aluminum frame that comes with the HF green house kits.
    I had this green house assembled with the original aluminum frame in Fairview and even with a foundation and stakes , the wind there tossed it into the neighbors yard 3 houses away. The winds here are far worse then there so when it was time to set up the green house, I went and picked up some heavy duty pallets in the size I needed, a box of wood screws, four pier blocks, a box of self tapping screws and 6 t-posts.
    I used the polly panels from the HF kit and built from there. The panels are the only good part of that kit. In fact, they are the only reason I would buy another kit in the future.
    The green house has held up beautifully and even kept a 55 gallon drum of water thawed enough to use even when our temps hit -22 this winter when every thing else was frozen solid. Only because I never let the barrel get to low though.
    Since it is all screws, it is easily disassembled and moved should I ever need to move it or if I need to replace any panels in the future.
    You will definetly need good cross ventilation cause it gets very hot other wise. You will also want some shade cloth to hang durring the peak of summer.
    It is only about 46 right now and in the green house with the door shut , it is well over 90 in there.

Good luck with your green house, hope this helps.

themayocynic thanked DemonsHollowAsylum
  • Debbie35
    9 years ago

Hi, I live 15 miles north of Reno, in a micro climate from hell. Do you have any pictures of your greenhouse?
    I bought a dome but the plastic cover it came with was pure junk. Did not last through spring of this year.
    I want to be able to garden 9-10 months of the year.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

themayocynic thanked Debbie35
  • Bubby C
    8 years ago

I purchased a kit from Lowes. It lasted 2 years. Attempting to purchase a new cover, I could only buy a whole new one.

So I purchased the next size up. Again, only 2 years. The PVC cover looks tough but it's no match for Reno winds.

This year, I'm installing polycarbonate panels to my existing frame. My only concern is making the door. I expect this one to last many years.

Dont go with something cheap. It won't last.

themayocynic thanked Bubby C
  • Rosemary Dyson
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi tried for two years and lost all of my plants. We are in the process of buying a storage shed that is with 5 windows and a door and a small porch. Should be delivered in a week or two. Just found out it is the only Green House that will last out here. Better than loosing plants every Year. Wish me well. Hope to heat it with a small pellet stove in the winter. Yes I live 45 Minutes out from Reno.

themayocynic thanked Rosemary Dyson
  • aniajs
    8 years ago

I've heard from a couple of people that the geodesic (dome) greenhouse kits are good for this area because they're way more aerodynamic than most of the other options. Not very portable, and probably more upfront cost, but the one I drive by on my commute has been up and intact for close to four years.

themayocynic thanked aniajs
  • themayocynic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi all, thanks for the comments. Sorry I've been gone for so long. Ended up not putting one up, the best places I have for one would take away from the dogs' back yard. I have one small veggie bed that I can possibly enclose, but unless I plan on hand pollinating during winter, I guess there's no point?

• aniajs
    7 years ago

Depends what you want to grow. Root veggies, leafy greens, herbs don't make fruit, thus don't need pollinating. Tomatoes and peppers are self-pollinating.

themayocynic thanked aniajs
  • themayocynic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you! Tomatoes and herbs would be wonderful to have in it. I don't know why I always thought tomatoes needed to be pollinated.

• Michele Laughlin
    7 years ago

Any updates on greenhouses in the Reno area? I live in Gardnerville and it's windy-er than all hell...I am hoping to build one over my raised beds. I am up against the Sierras- Job's Peak is practically in my backyard! Thinking about making a greenhouse from all windows within a frame.

• HU-757375866
    3 years ago

I don’t recommend Module Greenhouse. They sent us a wild goose chase 3 times to look at a model that wasn’t there. We called them, sent in a complete list of what we wanted, they were supposed to send me a quote, but never did. If they are this bad, what will they be like after it’s installed.