Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_southerncal

Growing your own Spinach or buying it?

bill_southerncal
17 years ago

Anyone here growing their own spinach? Or are you even buying it? They're all over the stores right now. I know that if you eat cooked spinach, even if was infected with e.coli, you'd probably be okay. But I used to LOVE fresh Spinach salad with egg pieces, onions, mushrooms, topped with WARM sweet-sour bacon dressing, including that stuff they sometimes have at Marie Callender's salad bars.

I recently ordered won ton soup in a local Chinese restaurant. And they shamelessly put baby lettuce leaf in there at the last minute. That was a week ago, and so far, so good.

My friends are growing their own Spinach. They say they'll try to do without it when they don't have anymore growing. I'm sure it'll be safe at the stores now. But if anyone grows their own, I just hope their dog or cat doesn't find their spinach bed their relief area, if you know what I mean. One theory was that wild boars infested the growers' water supply. (Or, according to some internet message boards, was it really a farm worker who couldn't wait?)

Here's hoping I didn't kill anyone's appetite for the healthiest vegetable out there.

Comments (4)

• loganlady
    17 years ago

Hi Bill,

I started buying regular spinach as soon as it came back in the grocery store. I never buy the packaged bag stuff-I don't like it. That's just me but I like the regular stuff on the shelf. Cleaning it can be soo exciting but hey. It looked good and wasn't bought from the area that had the problems. We had no problems eating it...although my husband asked me before he had some if it was ok to eat it? I said yes, it'll make us both die but I bought it anyway-LOL. I love spinach & romaine salad. Also love the warm spinach salad (no eggs, thank you) like you wrote about!!!
    Last week I planted some spinach in my garden.(No way for animals to come in and use it for a potty) This is a first time I have ever done this. Now I am waiting for the seeds to pop up!!

Beca~

• bill_southerncal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've talked to several Las Vegas gardeners, and none of them are growing spinach! I hear them talk about growing sweet peas and snow peas, cabbage, peas, and lettuce. Perhaps it's because it's just not available... I haven't seen it in Home Depot, Wal Mart, Target, or Star nursery. But yes, what a relief it's safe to eat it now.

• mohavemaria
    17 years ago

Hello Bill,

I have planted some spinach here in Las Vegas. I've never grown it before but since lettuce does so well in the winter here I figured I would give it a try. I haven't planted mine out in the garden yet (I've started it in a pot) because I'm having some rabbit problems and I'm sure they would love to get thier bunny teeth on these yummy greens.

I do also have the requisite peas, onions, broccoli, lettuce and cabbage planted. I'ts been such a nice fall who knows what else might tempt before it gets cold and no fun to garden outside.

Happy Gardening, Maria

• bill_southerncal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

With your great array of winter vegetables, you could make a great chicken pot pie or vegetable soup! Of course, if you're like the Europeans, they'd forget the chicken and just chase and baste the pesky rabbits.

Spinach is easy, esp. if it's warm enough, if the soil is rich and free of bugs and slugs. Rabbits and us aren't the only things that love those thick rich green leaves. I grow organically, and am used to little holes on the leaves. Some of my friends hate that, and spray their produce, hoping to remove any residue of pesticide when they wash it. But if grow lettuce, you can grow spinach. And it's nice when you know the water hasn't been tainted with e.coli or something else. Good luck with it.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!