Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_southerncal

Live plants for Holidays?

bill_southerncal
17 years ago

What plants are you using, inside or outside, to add to the holiday festivities? For me this year, like last year, is the blooming red mandevilla, I think it's called Red Parasol. It's got waxy dark green leaves and bright red, not pink, flowers. I don't know if they're available anymore, I got mine at Target two months ago, and it's now blooming like crazy and goes indoors with the Pointsettias. I'll give it to my parents in Vegas, and will also use Red Amaryllis and red and green succulents. I'm hoping also to find red tulips and blooming red azaleas.

It's expensive, but you can always plant them outside or give it away after the holidays.

Comments (2)

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

I like my Amaryllis. I always buy a new bulb each October or November, but I keep all the old ones, too. After it has warmed enough in spring, I take the old bulbs outside, repot them into nice, new potting soil and tuck them in among my other patio container plants (trust me--the way I plant a few ratty Amaryllis recovering don't show). Once the bulbs go completely dormant, they get stuck on the side of the house so they won't get any more water for a while--just the casual splash now and then.

Surprisingly, some of the bulbs bloom a second time in midsummer. Some of them bloom again in winter. In any case, I drag everything that is still viable inside at the first frost, and let them grow again.

Lisa

• bill_southerncal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lisa,

Red Amaryllis in full bloom is a star of the garden indoors or out. Your technique for regrowing sounds lots easier than refrigerating it, etc. and replanting the following year. I typically just buy blooming plants, and then when faded, stick them somehwere and hope for the best!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022