Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My second Las Vegas garden project

Posted by bill_southerncal 8b NV (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 20, 06 at 16:40

During Thanksgiving, I'm fully intending to plant a Fuyu persimmon and Fuji apple in my parents back yard in North Las Vegas. All the flowering plants, except for bouganvillas are planted, and doing well.

Then, for my next project, I have to start planting my sister's backyard. She lives two blocks away. Unlike my mom, my sister appreciates but doesn't want to touch the garden. She loves to pick, but hates to plant and weed. So, their 30' x 30'yard has nothing but dirt and a guest house still not complete. They want to keep it a desert to minimize water consumption, but want some pretty rocks and perhaps drought tolerant plants (thus my question on drought resistant/tolerant plants). I hope she'll want to either put a deck or a small lawn. She needs a gathering place and a gas BBQ between the house and guest house.

Any suggestions, besides the drought tolerant plants already mentioned in another thread? Thanks in advance. It's a long term project, I have until next March or so to have it completed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My second Las Vegas garden project

Hi Bill, one place I have visited for a little help in the past for arid climates is http://www.delange.org/Xeriscape/Xeriscape.htm.

A 30x30 plot in the desert has lots of possibilites. Perhaps you could elaborate a bit on your sister's specific likes and dislikes.

There are several people in southern NV that visit this site and have some good information if you visit a few of the previous topics.

My northernNevada travails are in the optional link. You might find some of that useful.

dRahme

Here is a link that might be useful: Stuff that grows in Northern Nevada

o
RE: My second Las Vegas garden project

dRahme -

My sister just wants a low maintenance and drought tolerant garden. She doesn't like gardening at all. Since I plan on putting a small lawn and gas BBQ near the guest house, I'll likely put the shrubs and trees on the perimter. I'll definitely check out your site to get some ideas, though. In her neighborhood, most people have the usual rock garden with a few drought resistant shrubs and daisies. I can't imagine her running outside to water when the temps start to get over 100 degrees (when it needs it the most!). And I understand that if plants are in the ground, the automatic sprinklers can only run for a few minutes on Satuday. In containers, though, there is no restriction on length of watering.

Thanks for your thoughts

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here