Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonanzavalleyboy

Newbie with Questions

bonanzavalleyboy
15 years ago

Hello Everyone in Nevada. Glad I found this great site. I was bit by the gardening bug in 2008, though I grew up on a dairy in central MN, and have parents/grandparents who were extraoridinary gardens. My Dad is a Master Gardener. Unfortunately, what works in MN doesn't seem too here.

Here's my dilema that I would greatly appreciate some advise on. I live with a postage stamp backyard. In early June I decided I was going to try some vegetables. My only available space was on the east side of my house. So I built a small test plot. 4 x 6 roughly. This area only receives a little over 5 hours direct sunlight in the summer. I was concerned about this. But... low and behold... my plants started growing. Pole Beans, Zuchini, Squash, Radishes, lettuce, and a few herbs. In fact, I've never seen such a big bushy flowering squash plant. The Bean vines shot up the poles and all seem well... even with only 5 hrs sun. But then... NO produce!!! I got one monster zuchini, and three beans of varying sizes. The lettuce was ok, the radishes a bust.

Now... behind the house on the north fence... I had three 5 gallon containers... each had a tomatoe plant. Roma, Celebrity, and I forget the third. They got full days of sun and heat. I planted peppers in with the tomatoes, as well as some basil, and merrygolds. The tomatoes did great, especially Roma and Celebrity. The basil did great! The peppers looked as though they'd take off, but petered out after after producing a little tiny fruit.

I'm wondering if my east side plot simply needed more time?? If I had planted my beans (for example) when they were supposed to be planted, I would have enjoyed more success. Just planted too late, and got way too hot. Any thoughts on my situation?

Also... to add to the pot for 2009... I'm thinking of heirlooms. I've already gotten my Baker Creek Catelog. Waiting on Seed Savers. I'm intending to expand my east plot, but I'm nervous about heirlooms and want to know if any of you have any recommendations for northern Sparks, Nevada.

Again... I'm happy to have found this group. I'm eager to learn, and thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Especially regarding the sunlight!!!

Greg

Comments (3)