Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit trees, a couple hours east of Sparks

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 20, 06 at 13:53

Somewhere on the way out here last summer I saw a plumb with purple leaves and some kids were harvesting them. They gave me one and it wasn't bad. A small fruit, I have seen grapes as big.

Any idea what variety the plumb might have been.

Any idea of other fruit trees that grow on an old sand dune out here someplace. (I'll look up longitude and latitude sometime and let you know the sorts of places people now try to live.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit trees, a couple hours east of Sparks

Albert,

When I lived in No. CAL, my elementary school had a row of these cherry plums in front of the school. The principal told us he didn't want us to climb the trees and get hurt. Of course, we all said yes, sir! But on Saturdays after the janitors left the building, we'd all climb the trees and pick the fruit. The challenge for us was not to pick them til they were ripe. The trees were about 15 feet tall, and they'd have this small fruit the size of a cherry. Not bad for free! We took some home and ate it, spit out the seeds in the back yard, and years later, we had our own tree. My dad cut it down because he hated the birds everywhere. LOL, great fun. P.S. There are many varieties of this tree, with differing shades of leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: description of cherry plum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here