Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prune Roses by New Years or Super Bowl?

Posted by slash-nevada NV (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 07 at 23:32

I have always pruned my rose bushes superbowl weekend, but they already have a little growth to them by then. Does anyone prune their roses now? With it possibly freezing at night, will that stress out the plants? Anyone have any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prune Roses by New Years or Super Bowl?

Sorry for the late reply, still recovering from Christmas! Personally I don't like to have a certain date to do gardening chores because the weather conditions vary from year to year. For pruning I just like to wait until it's been cold enough for the roses to have gone into dormancy. This year we had a really long warm fall and it took longer than usual.

I've heard that if you prune too soon it will encourage them to leaf out and then get damaged by a late cold spell but here in Las Vegas I haven't really noticed that happening. Even last year when we had that cold week in late winter that damaged the early fruit trees flowers I didn't notice any problems with our roses. This week I plan on doing a lot of pruning including roses and don't expect them to really start growing until later on when it starts being consistantly warmer.

Maria

o

OK, so I tried pruning them back a little at Christmas and they started to bud again. Decided that it would be healthier to prune them backto about 9 inches and remove all the old growth, did it on Super Bowl weekend. Will see how good they grow this year and report back.

o

Roses are ready to Bloom on March 31st, pruning on superbowl weekend seemed to be the ticket. Havent fertilized at all, great blooms coming out this week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Nevada Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here