Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerry36

feeding birds

gerry36
14 years ago

I would like to put a bird feeder in the traffic circle I look after, as part of Greenstreets Program in Vancouver. What kind of feeder should I get? Do any Rufus hummingbirds stay in coastal BC during the winter? I think we should care for a fine feathered friends in the winter. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (3)

• hallerlake
    14 years ago

If you are seeing hummingbirds, they are probably Anna's hummingbirds. Rufous hummingbirds are migratory. They don't stick around.

What kind of birds do you want to feed?

• reg_pnw7
    14 years ago

Make sure you get one that will keep the seed dry in nonstop rain. Most mass-market bird feeders won't do that. I have one made by BC Indian tribes that's called a Rainforest Feeder and it's designed to keep the seed dry in our wet winters. Made of local cedar, with a huge roof that completely overhangs the seed compartment and perches. Works very well, I've had mine for years. Squirrels and rats can chew on the cedar though.

I also have a clear plastic, conical, squirrel-proof feeder (which really is, and rat-proof too) that keeps the seed very dry, with a huge conical roof that overhangs the seed compartment and the seed tray that the birds perch on.

I also have a finch-feeding tube, but they don't stay all that dry in the rain, even with a cover on top.

Wet seed goes moldy and can make the birds sick, so it's something you want to take seriously. And the tubular feeders can be very hard to clean the moldy seed out of.

Avoid seed mixes with millet as they attract house sparrows, an invasive species. I use plain black oil sunflower seeds. Pricey, but little waste, and no house sparrows. Juncos, chickadees, nuthatches, towhees, jays, gold- and house finches, and all the native sparrows like it.

Our fine feathered friends are actually quite adept at taking care of themselves in winter, given half a chance. I feed birds because I enjoy watching them, and to make up for loss of native food supplies to urbanization. But it does affect them, concentrating populations where there are feeders, and perhaps increasing populations of the ones that like feeders beyond what would have been there naturally. I just read an article about a European bird species that normally migrates to Spain for winter, but some are now migrating to England and congregating at bird feeders in winter. The ones going to English feeders show narrower beaks and shorter wings than the ones that continue to migrate to Spain. Speciation in progress.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Suet feeders using wire cage holders for the prepackaged squares have worked well for me, and provide a lot of energy for the birds. They are only used in winter. Squirrels can't really get into them through the wire, and they are not bothered by rain or snow.

If you put up a hummingbird feeder, pay attention not to use food colors in the sugar solution. People on the GW hummingbird forum are partial to cane sugar, made up at home. The red color hummers like can be in the feeder itself. Or grow some Cypress vine, red-flowered runner beans, Phygelius, or other tubular red flowers in the garden.